• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grand National 2019

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
My sauces report that the Pipe stable (which has hit a bit of form at long last) are hoping for a good run from Ramses De Taille on Saturday. He is only 7 though and the last 7 year old to win was in 1940. Despite that, I am going to have a bit of each way at 25/1.

I am also going to have some each way on Walk In The Mill. You can get 33/1 with William Hill. Has a low weight, won The Becher Chase over these big fences at the December meeting and stays well. Experience of the big unique Aintree fences a major plus. A good jumper who has only fallen once. Has run two nice races over hurdles since winning the Becher. Trained in a small unfashionable yard and the National winner often has a nice back story.

My favourite race of the whole year.

Legohead

Banned
I'm going off racing. Now i only take a mild interest in the flat. The number of equine injuries resulting in euthanasia from racing on the flat is next to none. The jumps meanwhile regularly has horses jumping fences then reaching the other side with one of it's hind legs flailing. Broken and much pain and distress. Then it gets put down. I have a great dislike for jumps racing and the patrons of it. Why put obstacles in the way of a horse who just simply wants to run? It's pretty cruel tbh.

Huge obstacles at that at Aintree in the National.

Jumps racing is one thing but when you chuck in a field of about 40 plus (which is far, far too many to be safe), chuck in obstacles that are far too big to be safely and consistently jumped when having a jockey sat atop whipping your arse off and chuck in the fact that the race is far too long a distance then it's naturally carnage.

Anyone who can't see this i would have to guess would be pretty stupid.

It's tradition though. A bit like fox hunting. (facepalm)

Last edited:

Joshyd123

I've got LiveLoveLaugh in the work sweepstake, a 66/1 shot that I'm fully expecting to unseat the jockey at some point.

fred binneys head

Magic of Light each way

Stelios

I am also going to have some each way on Walk In The Mill. You can get 33/1 with William Hill. Has a low weight, won The Becher Chase over these big fences at the December meeting and stays well. Experience of the big unique Aintree fences a major plus. A good jumper who has only fallen once. Has run two nice races over hurdles since winning the Becher. Trained in a small unfashionable yard and the National winner often has a nice back story.

My favourite race of the whole year.
Thank you (LLL)

Had a little each way bet which sadly didn't make up for other losses but was nice nevertheless.

Magnificent win again for Tiger Roll. What an amazing little horse.

fred binneys head

I had £6 each way on Magic of Light at over 100-1 :)

To say I was a tad excited when they jumped the last is an understatement.

Legohead

Banned
Fortunately only one horse was exploited and killed in the race yesterday. Or should that be unfortunately?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
0.2% of horse racing results in a horse being euthanised according to some stat I saw yesterday.
Having seen how the horses get treated at the big stables first hand (my sister worked for Jonjo O’Neil for a few years), the nags are like royalty and when they don’t want to run or jump they don’t. Tough luck jockey you’re going over the top. However horses by their very nature want to run as a pack and are happy jumping and for the most part, according to my sis who rode most of the big name horses in training 4-5 years ago and often rode out with AP McCoy and other famous jockeys they’re itching to go down the gallops at any opportunity.

Now, the subject of the National I don’t disagree with you on, the jumps are definitely better now they’ve been lowered but for my money there’s about 10 horses too many in the race making it far too congested particularly at the canal turn. I’m also not convinced that the scrum surrounding the horses immediately post race can be particularly good for them.

However I’m convinced that those race horses are treated far far better than the vast majority of horses cooped up in stables around the country being brushed and ridden for 20 minutes every Saturday.