• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Portsmouth v Sunderland final

GJW

Really looking forward to this. Not sure if the football will be top drawer but the passion and atmosphere should be great with a record crowd for a Checkatrade final and the colours of the traditional blues v reds (like the original subbuteo team colours). Will be watching on Sky this afternoon, once I have done my mother’s day chores for the wife.

Legohead

Banned
It will sure be difficult to actually comprehend the size of the crowd for this game in what is effectively a game of little importance in the grand scheme of things. Is it the FA Cup of the lower leagues? Personally i don't think so. I'd take Exeter progressing to the semi finals or even quarter finals of both superior cup tournaments anyday over winning the Checkatrade but it will be a cracking day out for both sets of fans regardless and if nothing else proves two things.

1. That the U23 sides (or U21's can't remember which) participating in this tournament needs scrapping for next season. I bet Checkatrade as a company are wetting themselves over the exposure of a Sunderland v Pompey final. Somehow i don't think they would be equally as impressed with a Walsall v Reading U21's final. Anyone who can't see just how much the participation of these sides devalues an already pointless competition might wish to book in at their local opticians.

2. This final (and others actually that have gone before it) just prove why the English football pyramid is the best in the world. IMO. The size of this crowd for what is essentially a tin pot cup final between two sides in the 3rd tier just proves this.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was a cracking game to watch, Not much in it, Both teams separated one point in the league and it showed, First half it was all Sunderland, Second half Portsmouth came at them so in truth a draw was a fair result but as ever penalties are anyone's game, Plus a record crowd of over 85,000

Last edited:

Terryhall

Boycott from first round to the final for me. Not that Portsmouth or Sunderland are likely to suffer from lower league B teams when todays attendance is used to justify them. For shame all who attended.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can’t believe 85k lunatics wasted their hard earned cash to watch the final of the farce of a competition.

Matt Russell

I can’t believe 85k lunatics wasted their hard earned cash to watch the final of the farce of a competition.
For one whose location is "Campaigning for free speech" you show a remarkable lack of respect for the free choices of others.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I respect your right of free speech to make that statement. However free speech does not mean I have to agree nor think people’s choices sensible.

Matt Russell

Calling 85,000 people who you don't actually know "lunatics" probably says more about you than about them. They each made a different choice from you and there's no need to be so disparaging about their choices. Freedom and tolerance?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
You seem to be taking my throwaway statement on the Internet quite seriously. That probably says more about you than it does about me.

Legohead

Banned
I'm sure that if Exeter got to the final then the usual thousand or so who usually go to the home checkatrade games will no doubt be joined by tens of thousands more on final day.

Such is the lunacy of football.