• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favorite Radio Devon Commentators

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Much was made during the matchday thread of the quality of the commentary provided by Radio Devon last saturday. I have to say it was particularly bad even for the likes of me watching the game via iFollow. It struck me that if the public at large were trying to follow the game with commentary only, they must have been wondering whether it was a football match that they'd tuned into, since the topics being discussed alternately were the commentators days at uni in Morecambe, and various other non City related topics! The entire buildup to one of Citys goals was totally missed!

I know two people on the matchday thread said they were contacting Radio Devon re: the commentary quality. The problem with doing that though is you're lumping Graham Kirk in by association, when he wasn't the problem. Unfortunately he could only go along with how the commentator steered things. Kirky didnt stand a chance, and he's my favorite for co-commentator for away games. I do like Andrew Barge for home matches. I'm not a fan of the ex City player who's name escapes me and certainly not a fan of Simon Larkins; He just doesnt have a radio voice.

Commentators I like are: John Ayres, Dave Richardson, Dave Saunders, and Richard Green, although I think the latter might no longer be available. Sohail Sahi is much better than he was in his "throw on" and "stockings" days, and I'd have taken him over last saturdays bloke. We just need to be sure we dont get last saturdays fella again!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've heard a rumour Danny Coles will be in the commentary box this Saturday.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've heard a rumour Danny Coles will be in the commentary box this Saturday.
Is that an "in joke" so to speak? Didnt he get the bullet for being a poor profesional in the Cheese's eyes?

mustangspeed2006

Commentators I like are: John Ayres, Dave Richardson, Dave Saunders, and Richard Green, although I think the latter might no longer be available. Sohail Sahi is much better than he was in his "throw on" and "stockings" days, and I'd have taken him over last saturdays bloke. We just need to be sure we dont get last saturdays fella again!
Dave Saunders taught maths at my old high school — very nice guy and a great teacher. He moved to the US for a new teaching job several years ago, so won't be gracing the Radio Devon airwaves anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't have any real issues with Saturday's commentary, and I happen to think we (and other clubs) are very lucky at our level and below to have any commentary at all.

Dave Saunders was my favourite, shame he moved to the US. I also like our roster of usual pundits - Andrew Barge, Kirky and Pat Baldwin. Ryan Brunt was good too last season. I can't think of any I've disliked - the only time I've really hated a commentator/pundit was when we played the GAWS in a JPT (or whatever) match a few seasons back and the greens supplied some idiot who was still enjoying his 15 minutes from being on Big Brother. I believe the BBC even received complaints from their fans.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saturday’s wasn’t the best but there’s been far worse. For instance, the commentator for the regular away game at Lincoln last season was utterly dreadful.

Last edited:

ExeterCityLad

The missing 'U' in Favorite in the thread title has me 'proper triggered. We ain't in Murica, even if you might be Pete.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think the expats realise how much that pees people off in this country.

Or perhaps they do.

GJW

I don't care who does it as long as they are commentating on the game. For those at home who cannot see what is going on, they are relying on a timely and accurate description of the match. The commentators need to be quick thinking and be able to keep up with play, know who is who for both teams and have some relevant and interesting facts when there is a break in play.

Anything else is a waste of time.

contrabombarde

I quite like John Ayers, he always appears very knowledgeable and professional although he does tend to get overexcited at times, to the extent that I think that we have scored when we haven’t.

Regarding co- commentators I always had a soft spot for Jimmy Giles. Utterly useless but he had a great sense of humour and was very entertaining when he would get the giggles.