• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jayden Stockley

muppetdodger

I am clearly a massive fan of Stockers and what he brings to the table, but there are one or two points I want to make on his performances.

If you look at the stats, he is second top scorer in the league one behind Norwood on 6. However, if you dig deeper he's had the most shots of anyone in the top scorer table, but his % on target is woefully low. He stands at 32% on target which means out of his on target shots tally of 8, he has scored 6. If he had got as many on target as Norwood who is getting on target 67% of the time, is it possible that he could have 12 goals by now? Even Sweeney on 4 goals has 63% on target, but I guess this is distorted by penalties?

I always feel with Jayden he only really goes into top gear when he has scored. Before this he spends a lot of time looking disgruntled and moaning at his fellow players for presenting the ball in the wrong place. Once he has scored he appears to me to be rejuvenated and more of a handful.

Am I the only person who thinks that he could really improve his jumping for the ball. He seems to me to make very few serious challenges for the ball and when he does he appears to give up very easily. Sometimes he really looks like he has lead boots and for such a strong young man this to me is sometimes frustrating. I know he is marked heavily and it is well documented how physically he is marked but I still think h could create more chances to score.

I'm not slating him, I think he is great for us, but there is definitely things he could improve to really up his game.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
He stands at 32% on target which means out of his on target shots tally of 8, he has scored 6.
It doesn't, you're quoting two different statistics there. One is a percentage of shots that are on target, the other is the ratio of those on target shots to goals.

J-Han

Some good points made on where he could improve, but I think that's why he's currently plying his trade in League Two. If he was consistently doing things better then he probably wouldn't be turning out for us every week.

Even with his flaws, all things considered, we've probably got the best striker in the league. If he does these additional things then there will be suitors at a higher level, but 25 goals last season and there was nothing more than a bit of vague interest over the summer from bigger clubs, the deficiencies in his play probably keep him here at least for the time being.

Mind you, if he gets another 25 this season then we can expect to see some more interest!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd put money on a fair percentage of the chances that he gets only being half-chances from corners. A case in point being the header he put onto the roof of the net on Saturday because he was at full stretch.

Having said that, he should have scored a sitter with his head on Saturday too.

IndoMike

Again we're not really comparing like with like. Cureton was a classy striker who could make goals for himself. He was opportunistic, clever, skillful and knew how to score.
Stockley is a robust more old-fashioned type striker who keeps the centre backs busy, knocks them about a bit, and can bring others into play deliberately or accidentally. He is not so skillful as Cureton but he too is no mean goal scorer. A combination of both might well have been pretty deadly. If we lost Stockley with our current set-up it would have a negative impact on the team.
I like both of them in their different ways.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd put money on a fair percentage of the chances that he gets only being half-chances from corners. A case in point being the header he put onto the roof of the net on Saturday because he was at full stretch.

Having said that, he should have scored a sitter with his head on Saturday too.
Firstly, let me be clear I'm a big fan of Jayden.

That said, and I dare say someone has some stats which completely disprove this theory, it seems to me he scores far fewer goals with his head then you might reasonably expect for someone of his [physical] stature. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that while he's great at flicking the ball on for a team-mate, he doesn't convert anywhere near as many headed chances as you might hope.

Indeed, I have a theory that many teams are so preoccupied with Jayden's physicality and ensuring he isn't given the time or opportunity to flick the ball on to a team-mate that they often fail to account for his ability with the ball at his feet.

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley is the best striker we've had since Cureton, very different player but just as effective.

He reliably puts the ball in the onion bag on the regular. That's worth a lot in my book.

muppetdodger

Again we're not really comparing like with like. Cureton was a classy striker who could make goals for himself. He was opportunistic, clever, skillful and knew how to score.
Stockley is a robust more old-fashioned type striker who keeps the centre backs busy, knocks them about a bit, and can bring others into play deliberately or accidentally. He is not so skillful as Cureton but he too is no mean goal scorer. A combination of both might well have been pretty deadly. If we lost Stockley with our current set-up it would have a negative impact on the team.
I like both of them in their different ways.
Did someone compare him to Cureton? Don't think I did.

Not sure what you mean about the stats Moxey, on the BBC site page of league 2 top scorers it has Jayden with 25 shots, 8 on target (32%) and of those 8 on target he has put away 6. All the other leading scorers have about 60+% on target but only Norwood has scored more. My point was that if JS had got more on target he would be walking the top goalscoring table. Maybe I'm wrong or just a simpleton.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley is the best striker we've had since Cureton, very different player but just as effective.

He reliably puts the ball in the onion bag on the regular. That's worth a lot in my book.
Exactly, he can do **** all else in my eyes, just as long as he keeps scoring. Think he has 41 career goals for us in fewer than 80 starts, which is some record!

IndoMike

Did someone compare him to Cureton? Don't think I did.

Not sure what you mean about the stats Moxey, on the BBC site page of league 2 top scorers it has Jayden with 25 shots, 8 on target (32%) and of those 8 on target he has put away 6. All the other leading scorers have about 60+% on target but only Norwood has scored more. My point was that if JS had got more on target he would be walking the top goalscoring table. Maybe I'm wrong or just a simpleton.
Sorry bout that, Muppet D : No idea where that thought came from..:(

PS. Better to reply to Moxers' post directly - he might not see it here