• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Statistics and Club History

JJ red&white

I recently came across the link on this page which goes to a website showing all player stats, fixtures, results and attendances etc, however it only appears to go back to the late 80’s. For example when filtering all player stats by goals scored, Mr Flack is top on 90 odd and interestingly stockley is already into the top 10 with 37 goals for us. Obviously this does not include historical goalscored such as Kellow and despite searching for a full historical list of appearance makers and goal scorers, I cannot find anything that shows a complete list. Does anyone have an idea if such a thing exists, or is it a case of having the list from late 80’s and adding in know scorers of 50 or more ecfc goals?

Interestingly on stockley, he has scored 37 in 74 for us, being one every other game. Have we ever had someone so prolific? Would also be great if he could secure second place on the goal scorers list since the late 80s!!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interestingly on stockley, he has scored 37 in 74 for us, being one every other game. Have we ever had someone so prolific? Would also be great if he could secure second place on the goal scorers list since the late 80s!!
Fred Binney first came on loan from the Gulls 1969 scoring 11 in 17 appearances. Signed full time for £35K following season played for City 1970-74 scoring 79 in 160 appearances. Total record with City 90 goals in 177 appearances including season
1972-73 scoring 28 and finishing joint top scorer in the football league with Bryan Pop Robson of West Ham.

Signed by Brian Clough, who knew a bit about football, for Brighton fee £25K plus two other players John Templeman and Lammie Robertson. Rather surprisingly he has not yet been inducted into the City “Hall of Fame”. Hopefully his omission will rectified sooner rather than later.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fred Binney first came on loan from the Gulls 1969 scoring 11 in 17 appearances. Signed full time for £35K following season played for City 1970-74 scoring 79 in 160 appearances. Total record with City 90 goals in 177 appearances including season
1972-73 scoring 28 and finishing joint top scorer in the football league with Bryan Pop Robson of West Ham.

Signed by Brian Clough, who knew a bit about football, for Brighton fee £25K plus two other players John Templeman and Lammie Robertson. Rather surprisingly he has not yet been inducted into the City “Hall of Fame”. Hopefully his omission will rectified sooner rather than later.
He had a great record at SJP..He was top Scorer in 72/73 if you include the goal he scored in the League Cup, ‘Pop’ Robson did not add to his goal tally in cup competitions.

In 73/74 he scored another 6 in the League Cup to add to the 25 in the League ending up 2nd leading scorer in the FL & Cup competitions behind Gillinghams Brian Yeo...Add that to the 18 he got in 71/72,not a bad return for a old style centre forward...Amazed that he is not been inducted into the Grecian Hall of Fame.

Fred was well known for his singing as well..

Oldsmobile-88

Sexton,I don’t think it was £35k,that would have been some ‘wedge’ in 1970 for a 4th Division team..5k rings a bell ?

lamrobhero

I wonder how many of Mr Binneys goals were from the penalty spot

dontpassback

Fred was a Great striker who scored some great goals for us,and when he left we also had the bonus of a very talented lammie Robertson and John templeman was a pretty good full back as well,good times to watch city:)

iscalad

I wonder how many of Mr Binneys goals were from the penalty spot
Quick count..looks like 6

Oldsmobile-88

Quick count..looks like 6
I concur....

sidney

Fred was a very popular player, not just for his goal scoring, but also for his wholehearted commitment. He wasn't that quick, and he didn't do trickery, but he was a highly effective front man. And a natural goal scorer. I remember him more as a second striker playing off a taller partner, than an out-and-out centre forward. I am thinking he partnered John Wingate a lot, but I might be wrong.

Mentioning 'wholehearted commitment', I cannot remember any player trying harder than John Wingate.

STURTZ

There forward kine with Banks, Wingate, Binney was a potent one.