Page 191 of 244 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2436

Thread: Ollie Watkins

  1. #1901
    scottus86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Punta Arenas, Chile
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Grecian Max View Post
    Tisdale wasn’t know for playing 4-4-2, at least not in recent years (he only regularly used it in L1) so disagree about the shape comment. If anything we seemed to keep it on the ground much more - there’s myth that we played “good” passing football under Tisdale, which wasn’t the case post 2011. If by similarities you mean kicking a ball around fair enough.
    I agree Max, not sure what Harris was watching. He even points out the huge difference but still thinks it was the same style. Even when we were "sitting back" yesterday we looked like scoring on the counter attack, which is something we haven't seen for years. The tempo was much faster, Stockley was much deeper and had a strike partner to link up with. The only similarities are that we mixed quick, short passing football and long ball.

  2. #1902
    grecIAN Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In the drivers seat..........
    Posts
    19,680

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by scottus86 View Post
    I agree Max, not sure what Harris was watching. He even points out the huge difference but still thinks it was the same style. Even when we were "sitting back" yesterday we looked like scoring on the counter attack, which is something we haven't seen for years. The tempo was much faster, Stockley was much deeper and had a strike partner to link up with. The only similarities are that we mixed quick, short passing football and long ball.
    Oh look the general play to which I refer to, you do read. We even played with a central midfielder wide on the left just like last season who was given a bit of licence to roam around. Did we play balls beyond on Stockley for our new found pace to run on to and stretch their back four? No, we hit Stockley with just about every long we played just like last season. Any additional width from last season? Not really. Did we sit deep for the last twenty minutes just like we did last season? Yes, you could argue that we couldn't keep up what we were doing for the entire match because of the heat but only time will tell either way on that. However, Taylor did throw on a defensive midfielder, just as Tisdale would do last season, during that last twenty minutes to shore the game up (and Tisdale was regularly slaughtered for doing so instead of going for it and killing the game off) which inevitably invited Carlisle on. Our general set up of play and game management is not that much different to last season. The pace has added an improvement to it and made our game more effective.

  3. #1903

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by scottus86 View Post
    I agree Max, not sure what Harris was watching. He even points out the huge difference but still thinks it was the same style. Even when we were "sitting back" yesterday we looked like scoring on the counter attack, which is something we haven't seen for years. The tempo was much faster, Stockley was much deeper and had a strike partner to link up with. The only similarities are that we mixed quick, short passing football and long ball.
    Agree with all this but will be pleased when the season has progressed and we can see the positive results of MT’s tactics. Stop comparing them to those of the past and Law to Harley. They were both devisive and now history. Time to concentrate on the present and future and put all our undivided support behind MT his back up team and the squad he has put together.

  4. #1904

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by grecIAN Harris View Post
    Oh look the general play to which I refer to, you do read. We even played with a central midfielder wide on the left just like last season who was given a bit of licence to roam around. Did we play balls beyond on Stockley for our new found pace to run on to and stretch their back four? No, we hit Stockley with just about every long we played just like last season. Any additional width from last season? Not really. Did we sit deep for the last twenty minutes just like we did last season? Yes, you could argue that we couldn't keep up what we were doing for the entire match because of the heat but only time will tell either way on that. However, Taylor did throw on a defensive midfielder, just as Tisdale would do last season, during that last twenty minutes to shore the game up (and Tisdale was regularly slaughtered for doing so instead of going for it and killing the game off) which inevitably invited Carlisle on. Our general set up of play and game management is not that much different to last season. The pace has added an improvement to it and made our game more effective.
    Tillson came on with 5 minutes to go, not 20. We kept two up top.

    Although Law clearly prefers to play CM he has played wide left for plenty of his career. His drifting in-field was clearly very different to what Harley used to do - it was done to deliberately double up on one wing to give you an overload/extra man. Nothing like how Tisdale used a wide midfielder to drop in.

    We tried to play Forte in behind a few times - including the 1-1 on he missed right on half time. When we played the ball long to Stockley we had players around him rather than leaving him massively isolated. He was laying it off rather than trying to control and hold while support arrived. I would guess, but can't prove, the full backs (particularly Sweeney) played at least 5-10 yards higher up the pitch and the wide players similarly. It was much more purposeful than we have seen in recent times with players clearly knowing what they were expected to do on the ball rather than shifting it back and forth amongst the back four and holding midfielder.

  5. #1905

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottery
    Posts
    2,644

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Ok it was only the first game but that was very far removed from much of the cautious and tedious last few years of our previous manager. Gone were the two defensive midfielders and players being isolated. Two up top is the new mantra and taking the game to the opposition it appears. Cant say that performance reminded me of sitting tight for 60 minutes and then attempting to play from that point of the game aka Tiz. Players were given a certain licence to step out of a rigid formulaic pattern of play and to take some calculated risks such as the changing movement and patterns of play of Holmes and Law in particular. Any resemblance to the previous manager's style of play didn't seem apparent to anyone. Just an opinion like

    Apologies for derailing a thread about Ollie Watkins all this should be put onto the Match day thread!
    Last edited by Saint James; 06 August 2018 at 19:17.

  6. #1906
    Cheshire Grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London Village
    Posts
    2,088

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Shall we get back on topic, any Monday murmurs on Ollie moving on to bigger and better things?

  7. #1907

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a Bali padi field listening to frogs
    Posts
    16,171

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Grecian View Post
    Shall we get back on topic, any Monday murmurs on Ollie moving on to bigger and better things?
    There have been no rumours on the internet about Ollie, but apparently the Bees turned down 10m for a bloke called Maupay (is that the name?). If Zaha is transferred it's not impossible that Ollie would go to Palace, but imo it's all very unlikely.

  8. #1908

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by IndoMike View Post
    There have been no rumours on the internet about Ollie, but apparently the Bees turned down 10m for a bloke called Maupay (is that the name?). If Zaha is transferred it's not impossible that Ollie would go to Palace, but imo it's all very unlikely.
    All Fake news I’m afraid. There has been no bids for Maupay. If Zaha leaves Palace Ollie won’t be going their, they definitely wouldn’t be bidding enough. We’ve had a big bid for Ollie which has been turned down.

  9. #1909
    Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    in yr internats
    Posts
    5,401

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    He's dynamite that kid. Top work ethic as well.

  10. #1910

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hagley, Stourbridge
    Posts
    6,384

    Re: Ollie Watkins

    Quote Originally Posted by Long Lost Bee View Post
    All Fake news I’m afraid. There has been no bids for Maupay. If Zaha leaves Palace Ollie won’t be going their, they definitely wouldn’t be bidding enough. We’ve had a big bid for Ollie which has been turned down.
    Thanks. Can you say any more about the big bid that has been turned down?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •