• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Do you want to go up?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm really not sure I want to watch us being struggling in League One next season as we're definitely not good enough...

Don't know if promotion would be a good thing at this moment in time

Alistair20000

Yes. Expectations would not be great and it might be a struggle but there is enough dross in League 1 to believe we would have a fighting chance of staying up.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No.

Tis deserves another year at this level to win back the faith of the fans. A relegation season in League One is the last thing we need (again).

Let's then hope that our neighbours avoid the drop if for financial reasons only. Next season, treat every derby game (including the Gas) as a Cup final - imagine Nards having scored that last minute winner in a League game in front of the bank...

Please, please can we also treat the FA Cup as more than just another game - even if we get Bury away again - and that includes us fans turning up in large numbers.

Obviously Fortress SJP is desirable, winning away at Scunthorpe on a TUesday night just doesn't get the pulse racing, if you know what I mean, and we need to up our home attendances.

Basically, we badly need the cash that the third round of the FA Cup can provide: look at Torquay under Buckle (and also Luton)- it can be done.

paperclip

Yes. Expectations would not be great and it might be a struggle but there is enough dross in League 1 to believe we would have a fighting chance of staying up.
Surely the dross in league 1 will be slightly better than the total dross in league 2 though, ie the total dross that we continually fail to beat, especially at home.

I think we would really struggle in the next league up, and I would rather we played in league 2 again next season after banking the extra cash obtained from the playoff games. With a decent start we could even win the league, who knows?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
A club like ours where promotions are so few and far between should take any promotion on offer. Otherwise what is the point of being in football. But if we go up we would need to strengthen massively. In lge 2 we only need one or two additions imho.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Yes because if we don't this season then we could fail quite easily to be around the top next season. I do think we are not good enough to go up but from where we are missing out on the play offs would be a big failure so that is a minimum for me even though on last two games it's hard to see where the points will come from.

A Slacker

A club like ours where promotions are so few and far between should take any promotion on offer. Otherwise what is the point of being in football. But if we go up we would need to strengthen massively. In lge 2 we only need one or two additions imho.
MJP - totally agree with this. Two other points. If (by some miracle) we did go up:
1. There is the danger of a less exciting fixture list (no Plymouth, Torquay, Bristol R plus possibly no Yeovil, Bournemouth). Before people comment - I'm talking about the anticipation in particular plus the atmosphere NOT an exciting game as we rarely seem to do this anymore!
2. I think there is the chance that Ryan Harley may come back to enjoy his football once again. He has not made it at Brighton (or Swansea) and didn't seem to make an impression at MK Dons on loan. He must be about 28 now and must be regretting the way his career has turned out. He would obviously have to take a massive pay cut but I think he might just do it to start enjoying his football in an environment that he knows and a place where he is idolised.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always take promotion. We are not good enough at the moment but we have serious injury problems. Losing Gow, Oakley, Sercombe, and Docherty would cause problems for any club at this level. It looks like Curo could miss the run in now as well!

If we were to go up I am sure Tis would know he has to strengthen massively and get rid of some of squad. 1st teamers who have to go are Bauza, Tulley, Davies, for starters.

Boyo

I can’t understand the mentality of anyone who wouldn’t want promotion. The league table at this point in the season doesn’t lie. We’re in the playoffs on merit and we deserve to be there.

When we went up from L2 four years ago we went up on a wave of Euphoria. The prospect of L1 was really daunting with the likes of Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Millwall and Huddersfield relative giants compared to our good selves. We entered that brave new world with wide eyes, full of optimism and hoping beyond hope we’d gather enough points to avoid the drop (thanks Ryan!).

If we do somehow manage to squeeze up this year then our goal next year will be survival. We would certainly need to strengthen, but there’s no reason we couldn’t compete in L1.

If we don’t go up, who knows where we’ll be this time next season. Argyle reportedly pay much higher wages than we do and look where they are.

The best thing about being in L1, is that regardless of how poor a season we could have, we’ll definitely still be in the football league the following year.

We have to do everything we can to make the most of this opportunity (it may not happen again!!!).

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Expectations would not be great and it might be a struggle.
It would. Wholesale changes would be needed just to keep us there. While others have questioned our striking and midfield capabilities I've always worried about the defence and what I see as weaknesses in dealing with high balls coming in from the flanks.