• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goalkeeper question

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No! None of them have got any guts these days! Even the best rated keepers have no nerve any more when it comes to going down at a forwards feet! I rate Van Der Sar very highly, but that goal he conceded was a classic example of what I'm talking about! He shuffles out, doing that splits thing, with his teeth clenched and his eyes shut, and the next thing you know, the shot goes through his legs! Shay Given and crap Kirkland are the worst when it comes to going down at a players feet! Kirkland has f*cked both his shins up twice because he came out leading with his legs instead of his chest and upper arms!

EDIT: John William: I agree that Ron green was a good short keeper (before you're time I suspect) and so was Wolves Bert Williams, Argyles Peta Balac wasnt bad either, but being short held him back I'm sure.

Theres a proper way of going down at a players feet, and you dont have to break your neck like Bert Trauttman did to do it. Bob Wilson (Arsenal) had it down to a tee, but keepers with that kind of nerve dont exist any more!
I went on a Foxhayes training camp to the New Forest with Peter Balac AND John Impey when I was a kid : we all went up in me dad's Vauxhall Cresta.. Is that a claim to fame..? (about the players, I mean, not the Cresta)

PeteUSA

I went on a Foxhayes training camp to the New Forest with Peter Balac AND John Impey when I was a kid : we all went up in me dad's Vauxhall Cresta.. Is that a claim to fame..? (about the players, I mean, not the Cresta)
John Impey put in a good shift for us in the mid 80's but Torquay had the best of his days, before and after he played for us. Balac was a good keeper for Argyle, but I'm not sure how many, if any first team appearances he made. He was far too short really, as you might have noticed when you met him Mike! Did you live in the Foxhayes area then? Tony Mitchell was into all things kid related back in those days.

Last edited:

IndoMike

John Impey put in a good shift for us in the mid 80's but Torquay had the best of his days, before and after he played for us. Balac was a good keeper for Argyle, but I'm not sure how many, if any first team appearances he made. He was far too short really, as you might have noticed when you met him Mike! Did you live in the Foxhayes area then? Tony Mitchell was into all things kid related back in those days.

Pete : I didn't live in Foxhayes area, but Tony Mitchell used to invite all the best young players in Exeter to his club : it was Exeter's Real Madrid ( ;)). I only played for their junior teams from 11 - 14. I lost interest cos we were too good for the kids of our own age and were put into an under-18 league, where we got tonked all the time by the bigger lads. John Impey was a big lad even back then, and Pete Balac was an acrobatic keeper, but yeah, a bit on the small size. I have to also say that I never noticed anything "dodgy" when I was there..

PeteUSA

Pete : I didn't live in Foxhayes area, but Tony Mitchell used to invite all the best young players in Exeter to his club : it was Exeter's Real Madrid ( ;)). I never noticed anything "dodgy" when I was there..
Nuff Said then! nudge nudge, wink wink etc. :D

PeteUSA

Pete : I didn't live in Foxhayes area, but Tony Mitchell used to invite all the best young players in Exeter to his club : it was Exeter's Real Madrid. I have to also say that I never noticed anything "dodgy" when I was there..
Cant say too much, since I'm reading in the E&E that Mitchell has been 'had up' for his alleged historic kiddy fiddling. He must be in his late 70's now. I think the Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall verdicts will serve as examples that nobody can escape a custodial sentence, irrespective of their age, if found guilty.

Last edited:
Ben Hamer was no better technically than Jones or Krysiak, but what he did have was buckets of confidence.
Even when he made the mistake, he boll+~Ked his defence.

Look where he is now!

IndoMike

Nuff Said then! nudge nudge, wink wink etc. :D
I don't think you should trivialize this matter, Peter. But you could think of growing up : at your age it must be about time

PeteUSA

I don't think you should trivialize this matter, Peter. But you could think of growing up : at your age it must be about time
My apologies if I offended you Mike, that seriously wasnt the intention. I certainly didnt intend to trivialize what is a very serious matter.

Well-known Exeweb poster
goalkeepers with almost unshakable self confidence and an ability not to lose concentration/focus are imo the 2 biggest difference's between lower and upper league goalkeepers

IndoMike

My apologies if I offended you Mike, that seriously wasnt the intention. I certainly didnt intend to trivialize what is a very serious matter.
You didn't offend me, Pete, but I believe you offended the issue. But you have been gracious enough to say sorry, so nothing there and move on...