• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP floodlights

Stelios

Sad times for fans of classic floodlights.

Portsmouth and Grimsby are taking down their iconic lights this summer :(

https://twitter.com/grasspfc/status/1128628575920377856

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-humber-47774412/farewell-to-grimsby-town-s-blundell-park-floodlights

Another bit of football heritage lost and city skylines changed forever

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Big fan of sticky up floodlights.

Stelios

They even used to paint them :eek:

sign of the chimes

Sad times for fans of classic floodlights.

Portsmouth and Grimsby are taking down their iconic lights this summer :(

https://twitter.com/grasspfc/status/1128628575920377856

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-humber-47774412/farewell-to-grimsby-town-s-blundell-park-floodlights

Another bit of football heritage lost and city skylines changed forever
Two of our pylons have been redundant for a few seasons as lighting was added to one of our stands which meant they were no longer needed. As I understand it, a result of some work being carried on the stadium over the summer, one of the currently redundant pylons is being removed. However, instead of being disposed of, it will be used to illuminate the car park behind our North Stand - so not gone completely.

I agree with the sentiment about lights in general and what they symbolise/represent.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very few traditional floodlight pylons left now..That’s how you found most grounds(except SJP !)

The ones at Maine Road could be seen for miles & made finding the ground fairly easy,the same at Elland Rd,which I believe were the tallest in Europe.

Grecian2K

Very few traditional floodlight pylons left now..That’s how you found most grounds(except SJP !)

The ones at Maine Road could be seen for miles & made finding the ground fairly easy,the same at Elland Rd,which I believe were the tallest in Europe.
That is so true mate (although thankfully - at least last time I went - Peterborough still had theirs). As you say, ideal landmarks in the pre "Google Maps" days when trying to negotiate hostile territories in strange towns.

Back in the 60s and 70s always felt slightly ashamed that, apart from a few telegraph poles, SJP had 'stand mounted" lights rather than proud, majestic pylons. Would never even have dreamt back then that we were, in fact, trendsetters! :D

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

I thought you might have told your story about following the lights but not ending up at a ground!

A damp evening game, and the floodlights from miles away highlighting the rain, really added to the atmosphere.

Oldsmobile-88

I thought you might have told your story about following the lights but not ending up at a ground!
Ha..Yes,the Grecians game at Darlington was called off late at 1.30pm(frost) so I quickly drove the supporters minibus to Middlesbrough(about 15 miles)
No idea where Ayresome Park was,but spotted a set of floodlight pylons in the distance & drove straight to a railway marshalling yard :D...Luckily enough the football ground was not too far away.Would have been around 1987..Those were the days.

Oldsmobile-88

Back in the 60s and 70s always felt slightly ashamed that, apart from a few telegraph poles, SJP had 'stand mounted" lights rather than proud, majestic pylons. Would never even have dreamt back then that we were, in fact, trendsetters! :D
When the Grecians played Blackpool in a League Cup game in 1989,I saw a few Blackpool fans around the County Ground after they made a beeline for the floodlights there in the late afternoon :D

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, generally speaking, we're more likely to see PIR floodlights.