• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Poppies

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Good for you ramone and everyone else doing this.
Probably wont be too many out this year tbh we've lost a few collectors since last year and there arent many people willing to stand out in the weather to collect , never mind I've already sold £55 worth for the pot.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably wont be too many out this year tbh we've lost a few collectors since last year and there arent many people willing to stand out in the weather to collect , never mind I've already sold £55 worth for the pot.
Sadly the numbers of veterans are gettig smaller and smaller each year, Hopefully those who've recently left the armed forces might take up the mantle now?

iscalad

Bought mine at Pine Hill Tescos today. An old soldier was on the stall.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly the numbers of veterans are gettig smaller and smaller each year, Hopefully those who've recently left the armed forces might take up the mantle now?
We use to get a load down from the Uni but since Covid struck I think the communication has been lost between the RBL and there.

Its a bit of a pity we arent at home tomorrow as I use to do some good money on a match day

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bought mine at Pine Hill Tescos today. An old soldier was on the stall.
Most are former soldiers that stand and collect because its in their mindset to carry on helping out their brothers in arms when reqd to do so.

DB9

We use to get a load down from the Uni but since Covid struck I think the communication has been lost between the RBL and there.

Its a bit of a pity we arent at home tomorrow as I use to do some good money on a match day
Do we have a home game before Rememberance Sunday?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Do we have a home game before Rememberance Sunday?
I think the Peterborough game has been designated as the remembrance game.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the Peterborough game has been designated as the remembrance game.
I'll be in London that weekend unfortunately.

But if anyone wants to stand and collect I'm sure I could get a few more boxes and tins together ;)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thinking back to when the girls were smaller we were stood in our usual place getting soaking wet and blowing winds round that corner I remember some old boy coming up to the girls saying " What the bloody hell are you doing here in this weather ? " Quick as a flash the younger daughter replied " I'll stand here Sir so you don't have to "

As he put some coins in their pots and collected his paper poppy he turned walked over to me and said "You have good girls there my boy" and went on with his daily routine.

Another year and there were 2 homeless lads outside the Tesco store in the High St and as we walked past them one of them asked how much a poppy was ? I replied they were as much as you want to give .. He only had 12p on him at the time and asked if that was enough ?
I said of course it was and gave him and his mate a poppy each to wear , We walked down to McDonalds for a hot brew and something to eat for breakfast but before leaving I bought 2 muffin things and 2 hot drinks going back up the High st we stopped by these 2 lads and gave them something warm for their bellies.
The lad who asked to buy a poppy said I didnt need to have done that but I said " you gave me the last few pence in your pocket its only fair I give you something back.

Sometimes its the little things in life.

DB9

We will remember them. 🙏