• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why is it rubbish?! There’s no money. Isn’t that what is blunting Taylor’s ambition with Exeter City?!
No. It isn't. I'm not sure how many times this has beeb said but Matt bought into our Trust system, he already knew what the limitations might be financially. Sure it may well be frustrating to constantly be beaten out of deals by money bags clubs but this is nothing to do with any blunting of Matts ambition. This is simply a door opening for a young manager to move up. We all knew it would happen at some point. It happens to be now.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why is it rubbish?! There’s no money. Isn’t that what is blunting Taylor’s ambition with Exeter City?!
You're talking rubbish because I would imagine the Exeter manager job is an attractive position for a number of reasons. A stable, well run club with a good reputation for developing academy players and watching them prosper in the first team. Any coach who believes in his ability would be licking his lips at the chance to get involved in this.

When you say there's no money that simply isn't true. We don't have a lot of money to splash around on signing players but we do have enough to pay a handsome wage for a decent manager, I'm sure MT earns well and wasn't Tis on a 200k per year roller?! We have to work within a relatively tight budget but so do the majority of clubs.

Any new manager knows they will get time without too much pressure and this is surely a key selling point.

If the job was advertised externally I'm confident we'd have a large and varied amount of applicants ranging from proven experienced league managers to upcoming ambitious young managers from the non league. Who knows, we may even attract an unheard of manager from the Spanish second division who wants to make a career in English football. Let's be honest we are a great stepping stone for anyone striving to be at the top.

Average Joe

Agre
When is he making his decision?! Shouldn’t need too much more time if he thinks they can match his ambition.
Agree. He clearly wants to leave and we clearly can’t match his ambition.

thanks Taylor but onwards and upwards. We have a good squad that any manager can stay on league one with.

MT should jump ship considering our fixtures over the next few months

wiveygrecian

I don’t expect to hear anything until the woman's game is finished later as it might take away the spotlight from their big day out!!!

Cowshed Grecian

Agree. But there’s not alot that can be done about it unless you know how to grow money trees.

robchave

It just isn't true that "there is no money". Like every other club, we have to work within a budget. It's just that some budgets are more limited than others.

ExmouthMart

You're talking rubbish because I would imagine the Exeter manager job is an attractive position for a number of reasons. A stable, well run club with a good reputation for developing academy players and watching them prosper in the first team. Any coach who believes in his ability would be licking his lips at the chance to get involved in this.

When you say there's no money that simply isn't true. We don't have a lot of money to splash around on signing players but we do have enough to pay a handsome wage for a decent manager, I'm sure MT earns well and wasn't Tis on a 200k per year roller?! We have to work within a relatively tight budget but so do the majority of clubs.

Any new manager knows they will get time without too much pressure and this is surely a key selling point.

If the job was advertised externally I'm confident we'd have a large and varied amount of applicants ranging from proven experienced league managers to upcoming ambitious young managers from the non league. Who knows, we may even attract an unheard of manager from the Spanish second division who wants to make a career in English football. Let's be honest we are a great stepping stone for anyone striving to be at the top.
It is true there’s no money. If there was we would have signed the players we were in for at the beginning of the transfer window identified by Filtcroft and also when couldn’t even sign free agents at the end of the window. I can’t believe you quote Tisdales rolling contract as an example of having money! We couldn’t really afford it and even worse couldn’t afford to end it.
It’s a good opportunity for Taylor to really prove himself out of the comfort zone of Exeter City. He won’t really know how good he is till he leaves. Hopefully for him when he leaves it will turn out to be a good move otherwise he may not get many more opportunities in the Managers role.

Cowshed Grecian

It is true there’s no money. If there was we would have signed the players we were in for at the beginning of the transfer window identified by Filtcroft and also when couldn’t even sign free agents at the end of the window. I can’t believe you quote Tisdales rolling contract as an example of having money! We couldn’t really afford it and even worse couldn’t afford to end it.
It’s a good opportunity for Taylor to really prove himself out of the comfort zone of Exeter City. He won’t really know how good he is till he leaves. Hopefully for him when he leaves it will turn out to be a good move otherwise he may not get many more opportunities in the Managers role.
Taylor will be perfect for Rotherham…making them competitive in the championship on a lower budget than everyone else.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone seriously think any of our current squad are Championship players?
Not too many at the current stage of their careers.Lot of talk about Brown going,but I think he will be successful where ever Nombe goes.Anywhere else is uncertain.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Matt goes, it's becoming more obvious that we will have to recruit from outside this time. I've just been having a look at who is out of work and would fit well in terms of having worked with our sort of profile (limited budget, youth development, working at a smaller club) and came up with former Crewe manager David Artell. He started off as Crewe's head of youth before he got the main gig. He took Crewe up from League Two to League One. Just a thought............
I think he would be a very good fit