• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good point art. But, on the other hand, never underestimate Labour's historic ability of still snatch defeat from the jaws of what should be almost certain victory.

Only take a few more Tory entryiststs infiltrating Momentum with their phones permanently on record and it will keep the blue top front pages frothing right through to the next GE.

arthur

The party will survive. Whatever happens at the next election they are massive political party within Europe.

Ultimately it will be how quickly the voting public are willing to forgive them and allow them a route back. Long term out of government the party won't be able to go further to the right, as they will not be electable and will have to drift back towards the centre to have an attainable chance of power.

I think assuming nothing special turning up they will be out of power for at least 10 years if Labour do ok, If Labour really help turnaround the country then probably 15 years in opposition.
But who is "them"? As I have said before, the Conservative Party that lost in 1997 was still recognisable as the Conservative Party of Churchill, MacMillan and Thatcher - it was just utterly exhausted and needed a good rest. The expulsion by Johnson and Cummings of much of the continuity wing of the Tory Party in 2019 left a huge void at the heart of the party so now it consists of a few fringe groups, bound together not by a common ideology or sense of purpose, but by an increasingly fraying loyalty to a toxic brand.

"Drifting back to the centre" doesn't just happen, it requires a lot of work by dedicated people - just ask Blair, Cameron and Starmer. Who in the current iteration of the Tory Party is going to take on this challenge, especially with the likes of Frost and Braverman to contend with?

Grecian2K

Poor old Liam Byrne is still widely ridiculed by the right wing acolytes for that 2010 note, "Sorry there's no money left"?

Wonder what Kami and Truss (or their successors) will leave?

"Sorry there's no country left"??

Mr Jinx

Poor old Liam Byrne is still widely ridiculed by the right wing acolytes for that 2010 note, "Sorry there's no money left"?

You make me laugh. We've got a long long way to go to reach the depths of 2007/08.

arthur

One thing that even some of the blue tops commented on was the surprising interest and involvement being taken up by "big business" at the Labour conference.

Something not seen in the red corner since the start of Blair's ascendency in the mid 90s.

Add to that the distinctly lukewarm response being shown to Trussignoromics by the Snoreaway and the imminent departure of true Tory James Witherow from "The Thunderer" could it be that (as in 97) even Uncle Roops might be steering his organs away? After all, the one thing he's always been averse to is to be seen backing losers!
Exactly. Murdoch doesn't back losers - look at what Kelvin Mackenzie said to John Major after Black Wednesday "Prime Minister, I have on my desk in front of me a very large bucket of smit which I am just about to pour all over you."

This allows Jinx to make his claim that parties never win elections without the backing of the right wing press

Last edited:

arthur

Yes, Liam Byrne's remark was is disgraceful, and not the sort of thing a Tory would do. Still, if Kwarteng wants a template to follow he could always look to history for inspiration. When Jim Callaghan arrived at the Treasury in 1964 he received a note from the previous Chancellor Reginald Maudling: “Good luck, old cack…. Sorry to leave it in such a mess.”

Mr Jinx

Ah yes, but when the real prospect of Sir Wokey Kneeler McWokeface becoming PM turns into more of a reality, you'll see a sea change.

I see us in a bit of a 1991 moment. There was a recession shortly after the poll tax riots. The Tories under the insipid Major were all for the chop at the GE in 1992 - their arse saved by Murdoch and a few others. I see Starmer as a bit of a Kinnock.

Grecian2K

You make me laugh. We've got a long long way to go to reach the depths of 2007/08.
Don't you mean "We've got a long way to go to climb back up to them already"?
2007/08 was a GLOBAL event...as was part of the slip-side toward the current situation I'll admit (COVID/Ukraine) but the sudden, precipitous rush over the edge is down to a handful of far right idealogues who are determined to impose their flawed philosophy on the nation.

Perhaps the only way to save sterling is to rename it? Given that SA already has first dibs on the Rand perhaps the last, desperate throw of the dice by the terrible twins will be to call it the Ayn instead of the Pound?

Mr Jinx

This is almost certainly worse than Black Wednesday, politically.
Whilst the markets (FTSE's) remain relatively calm whilst the country is in full employment (for now), I can't say I agree with your synopsis.

On Black Wednesday I seem to recall they put up interest rates 5% in a day. We're some way off that aren't we? Incidentally, the pound hit $1.11 earlier today (now at $1.10).

Methinks your getting quite carried away. Bless. I won't deny you & G2k your moment.

Last edited:

arthur

Ah yes, but when the real prospect of Sir Wokey Kneeler McWokeface becoming PM turns into more of a reality, you'll see a sea change.

I see us in a bit of a 1991 moment. There was a recession shortly after the poll tax riots. The Tories under the insipid Major were all for the chop at the GE in 1992 - their arse saved by Murdoch and a few others. I see Starmer as a bit of a Kinnock.
It has already become a reality.

As for the Wokey Kneeler McWokeface reference, very few people think like you, fortunately, and most of them already vote Conservative. Still, enjoy your sojurn in alternative reality if that makes you feel better