• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

*OFF* Charlton Athletic V Exeter City Sat 10th September 2022 Discussion and Prediction thread

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly though with the tribal attitudes of many football supporters and the Neanderthal type behaviour of some others the level of respect could not have been guaranteed at all football venues across the Country and I think the football authorities had no choice other than to act as they have done.
This only makes any sense if you presume football won’t do anything to mark the Queen’s death on it’s resumption. And that’s inconceivable.

sign of the chimes

Surrey doing everything very well and a great rendering of the National Anthem.

Sadly though with the tribal attitudes of many football supporters and the Neanderthal type behaviour of some others the level of respect could not have been guaranteed at all football venues across the Country and I think the football authorities had no choice other than to act as they have done.
That's a pretty condascending view about football fans as a group, SB. I'm sure that almost all fans who'd have attended games today would have shown respect whatever their views on the monarchy. I suspect the odd idiot who couldn't manage that would have been dealt with accordingly.

Fortunately I don't think that was the reason for today's postponements - having read across a variety of sources that it was the FA who pushed the PL and EFL to postpone (rightly or wrongly) as a result of William's patronage of the FA.

Your take has really depressed me. It's as though the narrative you're presenting hasn't moved on since the 90s.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
It always used to be a minutes silence although in recent years it's turned into applause as this stops idiots ruining the silence.
and the silence can be ruined by accident too.

During a beautifully observed silence before a Kiddy Harriers game in the depths of winter many years ago ,five yards away someone's phone started to ring - with a loud version of the William Tell overture ! The phone was tucked away in an inside pocket ,not easily accessible, so the chap was scrambling unsuccessfully to find it and turn it off. The harder he tried, the worse it got. I think everyone saw the funny side!

Colesman Ballz

and the silence can be ruined by accident too.

During a beautifully observed silence before a Kiddy Harriers game in the depths of winter many years ago ,five yards away someone's phone started to ring - with a loud version of the William Tell overture ! The phone was tucked away in an inside pocket ,not easily accessible, so the chap was scrambling unsuccessfully to find it and turn it off. The harder he tried, the worse it got. I think everyone saw the funny side!
It happens at SJP too, I recall when the silence was shattered by barstaff tipping empty bottles into bins behind the Doble Stand, utterly cringeworthy ! :mad:

denzel

It happens at SJP too, I recall when the silence was shattered by barstaff tipping empty bottles into bins behind the Doble Stand, utterly cringeworthy ! :mad:
That seemed to happen a lot!

Andy Holloway

But it didn't happen last year, as I personally threatened the bar staff with a choice, either death by castration with a blunt penknife or, them being sent to Gnome Park for the rest of the season!

sign of the chimes

But it didn't happen last year, as I personally threatened the bar staff with a choice, either death by castration with a blunt penknife or, them being sent to Gnome Park for the rest of the season!
I remember ringtone of ELP's 'Fanfare for the Common Man' going off at the funeral of a very close relative a couple of decades back. It was at quite a sensitive moment. It was all the better for it being back in the days of the polyphonic ringtones (i.e. before they were proper audio), so it sounded like said prog track being attempted by a Commodore 64.

andrew p long

a difficult choice between those two!

iscalad

One year the cheer leaders made an awful racket behind the Doble during the service.

Pobbop

Honestly the argument is that a few supporters might not act exactly as they would in North Korea, so all football from grass-root levels to the top need to be cancelled, with huge financial losses to people and organisations in a cost of living crisis.

I mean it's even more laughable than I thought.