• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond to Wolves for 500k

DawlishBouy

See my post #73 on the Youth 2022/23 thread

ExmouthMart

"Undisclosed fee" would be a phrase I'd outlaw were I to ever find myself in charge.
Be interesting to see if Wolves insisted on it, which is the usual response. They don’t seem to shy with their other signings! Hopefully Taylor will be put on the spot by the hard hitting questioning SM Team to explain the finer details of the deal and the add ons going forward where we generally make our money.
Also puts pressure on the decision to fast track Diabate. Ray allowed to leave and now Pond sold. At the moment looks like Pond in a Premier League Teams eyes was the better option.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its common practice ...and Wolves would know that saying 500k would mean that every club selling an unproven youngster to them would start by saying '500k - you paid that for someone with no real first team experience.
Quite. At the same time, the Athletic's West Midlands football reporter quoted 500k and you'd like to think he didn't pluck that figure out of the air so I'd be surprised if it isn't in the right ballpark.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
And Premier league sides moan that promising youngsters need to play more men's football so want B teams etc.

And what do they do? Take players like Alfie Pond away from men's football and put them in U21s football instead!

IndoMike

The £500k is likely to be divided three ways. So £166k to the player budget, £166k to capital, £166k to the Academy.

The £166k will probably be divided in to 3 years, which give a budget of £55k a year. Not a lot!
I'm sure somebody posted that the 3-way split is no longer in operation. If it was, how could the club pay for the cost of the new training facilities (and I'm not talking about the differential between the bid originally accepted and the second bid)

Grecianpasty

My understanding is that the deal is over 500k due to spurs interest.

wiveygrecian

And Premier league sides moan that promising youngsters need to play more men's football so want B teams etc.

And what do they do? Take players like Alfie Pond away from men's football and put them in U21s football instead!
They would have been better loaning him back to Yeovil for a season there . Good standard and now he will just be playing U23 stuff in front of a couple hundred

Grecian Max

My understanding is that the deal is over 500k due to spurs interest.
Thats good news at least. Any sell ons? Thats's where the big money is at. TBH after Rangers attempting to get him for pennies I'm fairly happy with the outcome given the circumstances. Good luck to the lad, has drive ands ambition at 18 - that'll likely make him achieve what he wants.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
How anybody thinks this is not a good deal for the club is beyond me. Even if he goes on to be a first teamer at Wolves, there is no guarantee of that now so 500k as a starting point for us is good money. We lose nothing on the pitch because he has never broken into the team. We have lost other promising players in the past to bigger clubs before they have had much first team experience with very mixed results for those players, not always the right move. We get that extra cash injection at the start of the season to cushion any blow in that area we might face over the coming months, and add-ons could lead to future revenue.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Be interesting to see if Wolves insisted on it, which is the usual response. They don’t seem to shy with their other signings! Hopefully Taylor will be put on the spot by the hard hitting questioning SM Team to explain the finer details of the deal and the add ons going forward where we generally make our money.
Also puts pressure on the decision to fast track Diabate. Ray allowed to leave and now Pond sold. At the moment looks like Pond in a Premier League Teams eyes was the better option.
You are such a dick sometimes, with your communication skills and concerns for the ongoing expenses the club is committed to perhaps you could email him and then post the reply.