• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread

A Slacker

Great game of football. Great atmosphere. Great team performance.

The first half was just awesome and we fully deserved to go in 2-0 up. They must have got an absolute ainsworthing at HT as Wycombe came out all guns blazing and Wheeler took his goal superbly. However we regained the upper hand with the third goal at which point Wycombe heads dropped and it was game over.

Diabete was my MOM - superb in the air but also put in some fine tackles and his distribution has improved so much from the panic mode when he first stepped into the team.

Great to see so many academy graduates starting and all looking League One standard.

It is really evident that David Wheeler has a real bond with City. I would love to see him back in red and white.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
And, lest we forget, they were last season's L1 beaten play-off finalists.

So not to shabby at all for a bunch of jumped up League 2 minnows.

And, on the back of two impressive home wins (F7 A1), a relatively local derby on Saturday should surely see the attendance burst through the 7,000 barrier? 💰💰💰

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
All in all a very professional performance tonight thought we managed the game really well against decent opposition
Excellent 3 Points
and has been said by others already sheer class from David Wheeler - from not celebrating the goal - to applauding the fans when substituted and then finally applauding all 3 sides of the home crowd at the final whistle - he remembers who gave him his chance in League Football - 'Once a Grecian Always a Grecian'

UTC

Smithyno6

Diabate was excellent. My MOM. Sparked was also very good.

larrywilkie

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think tonight's attendance was the highest for an evening game since Liverpool in January 2016, unless anyone knows different?

That was, of course, not a league game and I would hazard a guess that a previous similar attendance to tonight's for an evening game would have been a very long time ago.

CityTillIDie

That was fantastic. I love this team! Massive shout out to wheeler as well, once a Grecian always a Grecian!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Scrappy first 25 mins where there was about 50 throw ins but then we gained control. Wycombe came back strong at the start of the second half but we really dug in deep and regained control of the game. The stoppage time was all City and if anyone was going to score again it was us.

Despite Dieng getting on the scoresheet, with some really poor marking from Wycombe, he generally looked off the pace and out of sorts. Sweeney was also quiet, although did absolutely nothing wrong.

Kite and Collins were outstanding against a physical side. As was Diabate, who I'm starting to think will go further than Hartridge in the game. Hartridge also played well. Jevani was his usual class self and we'll miss him massively whilst he's away on international duty.

Blackman is the real deal and made some good saves but the best moment was at the start of the second half when he casually side stepped 2 attackers simultaneously. The only person who didn't have their heart in their mouth was him!

To be able to bring Nombe off the bench at 3-1 is a real luxury. He's a star, too good for L1, keep him fit and there won't be many better strikers in the division.

Great attendance again. Must bring in approximately another 50k per game. Keep these crowds up and perhaps we'll be able to offer Jevani and Nombe new and improved deals. Keeping those 2 beyond this season needs to be made a priority.

A hard but enjoyable game. Has there been a better time to be a City fan in the last 40 years!

Steve H

First game of the season for me and a great win with a fantastic crowd and atmosphere.... I thought we'd struggle to replace Dawson but Blackman is clearly a class keeper.
Thought the back three were excellent and at the moment I don't see where Stubbs fits in !

We can put out an 11 that’s good standard for this division but let’s not get carried away, we’ve played probably 4 lower half sides. It’s the depth that people are rightly concerned about and we will get found out if teams keep making 5 subs at a time whilst we rotate one striker.
Largely agree with this point, but I thought 5 subs actually disrupted Wycombe' attacking flow. Especially taking Wheeler off.

But overall it's obvious that MT does need more options from the bench. It's one thing to have limited choices at 3-1 up, another when were trailing and looking to regain the initiative.