• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we approaching a Crossroads

david61

I suppose there may be a best of both worlds.
At the moment I believe SJP is owned by the council and rented/leased to the club, not sure whether free, subsidised or market rate. Then the club is fan owned and run.
So the City loving billionaire could build and own a new stadium for the future and rent it or give it to City who would still be fan owned and run.
SJP could perhaps continue as a community asset with a plastic pitch for 24/7 use.
City could have a bigger future with a bigger stadium and better facilities to make money with.
Just need the benevolent billionaire...

Boyo

It's just not as black and white as you are stating. Nobody on this thread is advocating a sell out to any Tom, Dick or Harold as a private owner. A hybrid model can take any number of formats. For example, five to ten small local business people buy £25,000 worth of shares each with a comittment to do so for each year they are on the Board. This may only amount to a tiny % of the shareholding but adds up to £250k a year into club coffers. Or a share issue for any Trust member putting £1,000 in again to buy a tiny share which can only be sold back to the Trust to be re-issued to another Trust member. These are just two examples off the top of my head that would bring in 'private' investment at zero risk to Trust ownership
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but what would the small businesses or Trust member get in return? Is it the warm, fuzzy feeling that you are helping the club?

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but what would the small businesses or Trust member get in return? Is it the warm, fuzzy feeling that you are helping the club?
Why not? Why should the idea of becoming a part of the ecfc community to help your local club to further success be such a strange thing to do? There's a lot to be gained by that in advertising and image building. Otherwise what other motive would there be? To somehow make money out of the club? To gain control of the club so that its assets are available for use and its ethos manipulated?

Last edited:
Reactions: WXF

grecIAN Harris

I suppose there may be a best of both worlds.
At the moment I believe SJP is owned by the council and rented/leased to the club, not sure whether free, subsidised or market rate. Then the club is fan owned and run.
So the City loving billionaire could build and own a new stadium for the future and rent it or give it to City who would still be fan owned and run.
SJP could perhaps continue as a community asset with a plastic pitch for 24/7 use.
City could have a bigger future with a bigger stadium and better facilities to make money with.
There will never be the best of both worlds in the eyes of some members of The Trust. Any kind of outside influence will forever be The Devil Incarnate to them.
As for your plastics pitch idea......... oh dear! Have you no idea of EFL rules on such monstrosities? And with plastics pitches comes plastic football. I don't care what technological advances the makers of such carpets think they have made they cannot and will not ever replicate a natural surface. Now go and wash your mouth out for such a distasteful suggestion!!🤨🤨😤😤😉

andrew p long

There will never be the best of both worlds in the eyes of some members of The Trust. Any kind of outside influence will forever be The Devil Incarnate to them.
As for your plastics pitch idea......... oh dear! Have you no idea of EFL rules on such monstrosities? And with plastics pitches comes plastic football. I don't care what technological advances the makers of such carpets think they have made they cannot and will not ever replicate a natural surface. Now go and wash your mouth out for such a distasteful suggestion!!🤨🤨😤😤😉
What was actually said was

grecIAN Harris

What was actually said was
So I misread it a bit........🤯🤯

Colesman Ballz

So I misread it a bit........🤯🤯
#shouldhavegonetospecsavers ! :p

SaintJames

You would get the warm fuzzy feeling yes and a piece of paper saying you are an Exeter City shareholder. It may not seem much but I would shell out a grand for that. For larger amounts of say £25k I would expect some boardroom information and the possibility of being invited to certain events e.g. informal meetings with the Manager and occasional one to one's with say Taggy. That might not sound much to many people but that's why I would be looking at a small scale sharing of the shareholding

Boyo

Why not? Why should the idea of becoming a part of the ecfc community to help your local club to further success be such a strange thing to do? There's a lot to be gained by that in advertising and image building. Otherwise what other motive would there be? To somehow make money out of the club? To gain control of the club so that its assets are available for use and its ethos manipulated?
If there are numerous people who have deep enough pockets and are benevolent enough to gift the club money, then that's brilliant. If people are investing to bulid an image or to advertise their business, then actually there are plenty of opportunities to do that already. I don't doubt there are people who would like to invest (benevolently) in return for having a say in how the club is run, which I understand is what Hallett is doing at argyle. But how would that work in terms of the Trust and our ownership structure?

Red Monster

Wrong thread