• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Straw in the wind. Billy Sharp assaulted by a fan.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
You are.
Thousands of fans have invaded pitches in the last few weeks and ALL have transgressed.
Let's get a sense of proportion here.
I'm hearing talk of points deductions, fences, matches behind closed doors.
For something that is overwhelmingly celebratory.

I've seen pitch invasions as celebrations as long as I've gone to football.
"Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over. It is now!"
Remember that?

The scenes after Barrow were great.
As they were after we beat Carlisle with a last minute winner in the playoff semi second leg..

There have been a couple of instances of fans being stupid and, as they were in full view, they have been and will be dealt with.

"To see those scenes at the end. Incredible. ... To see them on the pitch and celebrating"
Matt Taylor - post match interview - Barrow game.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Remember that?

As they were after we beat Carlisle with a last minute winner in the playoff semi second leg..

There have been a couple of instances of fans being stupid and, as they were in full view, they have been and will be dealt with.

"To see those scenes at the end. Incredible. ... To see them on the pitch and celebrating"
While I sympathise with this it remains the case that going onto the pitch is an offence under the 1991 Act. For that reason I did not go onto the pitch after the Barrow game.

I don’t think it’s O.K. to break the law because it celebratory. I don’t think it O.K. to break the law because I think the law is OTT and I am not really doing any harm.

As Dione Dublin said on TV today: by all means celebrate but stay in your seats to do it.

lamrobhero

What risk is acceptable in relation to someone being assaulted or a victim of aggressive behaviour or being spat at consequent on a pitch invasion. 1 in 10? 1 in 100? 1 in 1000? 1 in 10000?

lamrobhero

Presumably any assault / incident is registered in the employer's Health & Safety incident register. The PFA stance:

Since the return from lockdown, police data shows that incidents of fan disorder have been on the increase, and this has coincided with a rise of assaults on players by fans.
While the broader issue of increased fan disorder requires a coordinated and long-term strategy, the clubs, leagues and police need to put their immediate focus on stopping large scale pitch invasions.
Encroachment on the field of play is against the law. While the majority of fans may be celebrating, it is clear that for a minority, this behaviour becomes toxic, aggressive and dangerous. This scenario has resulted in an unsafe environment for players and club staff. People are at risk of being seriously hurt or worse. The football authorities need to be tough and send a clear message. These are predictable events, it is a criminal offence, and it is unacceptable.

i8cornwall

Remember that?

Ding ding is the right answer Spoonz.

Personally based on some posts on here I'm assuming it won't be long before a thread pops up demanding England give the 66 world cup to Germany and England banned from the world cup for what happened at the euro's.

i8cornwall

Presumably any assault / incident is registered in the employer's Health & Safety incident register. The PFA stance:

Since the return from lockdown, police data shows that incidents of fan disorder have been on the increase, and this has coincided with a rise of assaults on players by fans.
While the broader issue of increased fan disorder requires a coordinated and long-term strategy, the clubs, leagues and police need to put their immediate focus on stopping large scale pitch invasions.
Encroachment on the field of play is against the law. While the majority of fans may be celebrating, it is clear that for a minority, this behaviour becomes toxic, aggressive and dangerous. This scenario has resulted in an unsafe environment for players and club staff. People are at risk of being seriously hurt or worse. The football authorities need to be tough and send a clear message. These are predictable events, it is a criminal offence, and it is unacceptable.
Are you a parody account?

I just want to double check before I point out how much of an idiot you sound in the above post.

lamrobhero

I just want to double check before I point out how much of an idiot you sound in the above post.
No I am not a parody account. Maybe I sound like an idiot because I am an idiot. :) Any feedback gratefully received. (Just to highlight I am quoting the Professional Footballers Association view. - Edit)

Last edited:

lamrobhero

Manchester City have launched an investigation after Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen was assaulted during a pitch invasion after the final whistle at Etihad Stadium.

Don't worry Robin its a risk you have to accept because 99% of the pitch invaders were not looking to assault you.

geoffwp

I think you need to think a bit more about your postings. You're begining to sound like an aggressive ranting twerp.

lamrobhero

Also just to say Employers are under a legal duty in relation to the Health & Safety of their staff. Relevant to the issue is it not?