• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
My main concern with Christy Pim would be whether his attitude would disrupt the squad or whether he has learned his lesson
Wasn't his attitude his undoing at the Posh??

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I heard it was one of his boots!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't it more a moment of madness? Struggle to think Christy's attitude was a huge issue given he'd been Posh's first-choice keeper for a number of years. Moreover, Tis was happy to be reunited with him and, as we all know, he wouldn't have contemplated it were he not a proper chap.

andrew p long

Wasn't it more a moment of madness? Struggle to think Christy's attitude was a huge issue given he'd been Posh's first-choice keeper for a number of years. Moreover, Tis was happy to be reunited with him and, as we all know, he wouldn't have contemplated it were he not a proper chap.
Yes, I think there are two relevant stories - crossing the line with the Posh manager and having a big post match row with Tis. Two short incidents in close to ten years in which he's played just for two clubs.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember being at Coventry in 2014 when we lost to them in a League Cup match and seeing Ollie score our late, consolation goal.
I think that was his first goal for us?
I certainly didn’t contemplate that evening his career would be as good as it has been and he’d make so much money for us.
It was the Johnstones Paint Trophy in October 2014, first time of visiting the Ricoh for many City fans which accounts for 486 away fans at a midweek paintpot game.

Several of us were sat near his family, and celebrated what was indeed his first City goal.

IIRC the Coventry goalkeeper should have been red carded for a deliberate handball outside the area but got away with it and they won 3-1.

Looking at the team I see Matt Jay was an unused sub.

Cygnus

Christy is a known hothead and you only need to see him shouting at defenders after every goal he concedes. He had his time with us and he left after more money and glory elsewhere, so time for us to do the same.

We have proved with the loan signing of Cam that we can do better and I’m sure Matt will be looking to recruit someone as good, if not better for next season.

Alistair20000

I’ve just heard that Ollie Watkins is returning to the club next season, to line up next to Zanzala. Keep it to yourselves for now.
Will we get add ons for appearances and staying in L1 ?

STURTZ

Think that with Cox it's simple, when he starts banging em in on a regular basis he'll be ready.

STURTZ

I suspect that Randall is a long term injury problem that we'd do well to avoid. We had the best of him and did well to get good cash. Pains me to say it but that hamstring is going to plague him for the rest of his career.

andrew p long

How do you know he’s not ready? He’s nearly 18 not 14.
On the Watkins at WSM comparison:-

Ollie was 19 when he came back from WSM, Sonny is 17.
Ollie started 18 games scoring 10 goals, Sonny has a handful of starts/goals.
Ollie jumped two divisions from WSM to City, Sonny would need to jump four divisions, as WSM are playing a league below where they were in Ollie's time

As others have pointed out MT has opted to sign three loan strikers to back up Nombe rather than using Sonny.

When I last saw Sonny play (an U23s game?) he looked miles off being physically ready for League Two.

I'd love it if he was ready now, but the evidence isn't there yet.