• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

International relations thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wasn't correcting spelling DB. Wouldn't be that rude. Just a light hearted tweak on what you wrote. :D
Re-reading it i saw the bad spelling, For some reason on my laptop the auto correct function doesn't work anymore. :( :) (y)

IndoMike

Going Nuclear in Crimea or anywhere in Ukraine is a own goal for Russia and Putin, The fallout won't just stay in Ukraine it will flow over to Russia and cause untold deaths to Russians themselves, He won't get away with saying this was for the good of Russia while some of his people die of radiation sickness plus if he does unleash a Nuclear attack, Those that are staying on the fenc or supporting him so far will want nothing to do with him, Even the Chinese in their Constitusion have a clause where only an attack on China would cause them to use theirs, Not in an offensive way.
I think Phil Sayers means going nuclear against the West.
I still believe that a coup against Putin is in the offing. The military can't be very happy with him, what with being handed 2nd class equipment and a poor supply chain to fight in a war which is based on ideology rather than anything else. Big business will be unhappy with him as their wealth and assets dwindle, and the people will be angry when they start to feel a serious pinch and realise they've been duped. This is one man's war and can be stopped with the removal of that man, as long as a deal is made not to investigate war crimes (not ideal, I know) and for Russia to withdraw entirely from Ukraine immediately. About Crimea.. tbh I'm not sure.

Phil Sayers

I think Phil Sayers means going nuclear against the West.
I meant that if Ukraine advances into Crimea, as they may be sorely tempted to do, Putin could seriously contemplate (and of course may decide against) using a tactical nuke on the advancing Ukrainian troops and / or nuke a Ukrainian city as a way of demanding that the advance be halted. I do not see any realistic circumstances whereby he would set out intending to go nuclear against the West but the nature of escalation is that sometimes people end up doing things that they did not imagine they would be doing at the outset as the situation spirals out of control.

IndoMike

I meant that if Ukraine advances into Crimea, as they may be sorely tempted to do, Putin could seriously contemplate (and of course may decide against) using a tactical nuke on the advancing Ukrainian troops and / or nuke a Ukrainian city as a way of demanding that the advance be halted. I do not see any realistic circumstances whereby he would set out intending to go nuclear against the West but the nature of escalation is that sometimes people end up doing things that they did not imagine they would be doing at the outset as the situation spirals out of control.
OK Phil. Thanks for correcting me...

Colesman Ballz

For some reason on my laptop the auto correct function doesn't work anymore. :( :) (y)
There are times when Shirley that can be a good thing ? Every time I type in Dieng my bleeding auto correct goes and changes it to Diego ! :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

The accidental c*ck up factor is perhaps the most worrying aspect.

The World has been close to nuclear missile firing by accident in the past.

Spoonz Red E

The accidental c*ck up factor is perhaps the most worrying aspect.

The World has been close to nuclear missile firing by accident in the past.
Accidental c*ck up for sure.

Proliferation is the worry for me.
Putin has gotten away with so much because he's gambled on restraint/inhibition due to the wider global nuclear situation.
He may yet gamble that even if he uses a nuclear weapon the West would prefer to leave it at that rather than set off a massive set of retaliatory nuclear strikes.

tavyred

Please God, let this be true.

DB9

Please God, let this be true.

I'm very sceptical of online news because they're very partizan but i hope to all that is good in the world this is true as well, Mind its not just Putin to be rid of, Its the whole of his inner circle.

Mr Jinx

I'm very sceptical of online news because they're very partizan but i hope to all that is good in the world this is true as well, Mind its not just Putin to be rid of, Its the whole of his inner circle.
Yes, I'm sure we're all hoping it's true. I take it with a pinch of salt to be honest - I don't think Putin is completely isolated....not yet anyway.

A significant step was made today and that was by the EU who said they'd phase out all Russian oil/gas by the end of the year. How they'll do that given their current dependence on it is another question entirely, but at least the will is now there.