• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Andrew Woolfolk. Saxophonist from Earth, Wind & Fire. 71.

PeteUSA

Tony Scott was a great player.
I agree, very sad news. One of the best left wingers in my time, up there with Gordon Dale.

Tim Long

...as he was with Ted McDougal at Bournemouth who netted 42 in one season to become something of a sensation. Scott created goals wherever he went, fine player!
Didn't Scott put in the cross for McDougal to score what became Match of the Day's goal of the season and, as such, in Scott's first season at City he was on the opening titles of Match of the Day every week?

Oldsmobile-88

In the programme for the Barrow game which was printed for the original game on 19/02, it mentioned that Chris Pearce(67) had passed away on 13/02
Chris was a well known face at SJP for the past 30 years doing stewarding & security. He was Sir Alex’s personal ‘minder’ for the 2005 visit, telling me what a absolute gent he was(As was Chris btw)
I was particularly shocked & saddened to read of his passing(I must have missed the announcement at SJP) I always had a chat if I saw him on matchdays, I had assumed he had retired after the pandemic because I had not seen him.
I will miss “How’s it going Jack” whenever he saw me...Jack is a play on my name, something that all the Storemen at Exeter depot called me decades ago & where I knew Chris from originally..
Rest easy big fella.

754200E6-87ED-4924-A4DD-734EE9DBE0F5.jpeg

Rosencrantz

Tony Brooks has passed away aged 90. He was the last surviving winner of a F1 Grand Prix in the 1950's and one of Britain's pioneer racing drivers racing alongside his great friend Stirling Moss. He famously gave up his car for Stirling to win a Monaco GP when you could still "share" cars. He won six GP's which doesn't sound much but was actually 46% of races he finished in an era not known for mechanical reliability. Stirling called him the best "unknown" F1 driver ever. They can start swapping stories again now.

Rosencrantz

-VsheLQhYiaXwoOLWGEWktk64Lm0T9gwC95bz3TwJOc.jpg
Always liked this photo. From left to right, Bruce McLaren, Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Graham Hill, Jo Bonnier and Wolfgang Von Tripps with a young Damon in the car. Four of them were to die early with only Stirling and Tony living until old age with Damon now the only one left.

david61

^^
July 1961, like to plot City games v. timelines, 29/4/1961, Exeter 2 Gillingham 0, their last game of 1960/61.

Banksy

View attachment 8455
Always liked this photo. From left to right, Bruce McLaren, Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Graham Hill, Jo Bonnier and Wolfgang Von Tripps with a young Damon in the car. Four of them were to die early with only Stirling and Tony living until old age with Damon now the only one left.
Golly they played hard didn’t they? Short lives but packed with action.RIP.

DB9

Golly they played hard didn’t they? Short lives but packed with action.RIP.
And was a practising Dentist at the same time. RIP

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always thought Stirling Moss was a good name for a racing driver. You can imagine the police asking a speeding motorist, "Who do you think you are - Stirling Moss?"

A great sportsman, too, by all accounts.