• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

So there is after all no such thing as "the science." Instead there is a range of scientific opinion.

Strange that all debate about how to respond to Covid and the merits/demerits of lockdowns was suppressed in favour of following just one line of scientific opinion.
If there is no such thing as "the science" just a range of scientific opinion, does this apply to to other areas or just Covid?

How do we know how much weight to give to a particular scientific opinion or how credence to give to a particular scientist or organisation?

Should we now adopt more sceptical approach re climate change on the basis that this phenomena is just a range of scientific opinion?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would argue that was definitely a safety first approach, to reduce the number of deaths end of.
No Suzi

That is your opinion so not "end of."

Mr Jinx

I would argue that was definitely a safety first approach, to reduce the number of deaths end of.
I'd argue it was more a case of let's just do what other countries are doing. They acted like sheep.

Alistair20000

If there is no such thing as "the science" just a range of scientific opinion, does this apply to to other areas or just Covid?

How do we know how much weight to give to a particular scientific opinion or how credence to give to a particular scientist or organisation?

Should we now adopt more sceptical approach re climate change on the basis that this phenomena is just a range of scientific opinion?
All questions above my pay grade Suzi, except for one certainty. Anything served up or influenced by serial inept "modeller" Prof Neil Ferguson should be treated with extreme caution. Just look at his past record of failure and gross error.

Other than that, there is nearly always room for different opinion in science and medicine unless something is fact rather than opinion.

The problem with Covid and "Science" is that the Government has relied on "modelling" which is not the same as "the Science"

Alistair20000

I'd argue it was more a case of let's just do what other countries are doing. They acted like sheep.
This is true because the initial "scientific advice" was rapidly abandoned in a serious of screeching U turns.

That said, the government would have had bucket loads of sh*t poured all over it by the media and the Public in pursuing a different policy as there would have been continuing deaths; maybe more initially. If the selected policies caused a lot more collateral damage (cure worse than the disease) that would have been dismissed in the media at the time or would have been pooh poohed. Those who suggested it were even called murderers by some. An impossible position for any government.

elginCity

The scientists divided on this issue are well over a hundred years apart. An 1800s ‘theory’ since debunked by scientific experts, doesn’t suggest it’s the scientists putting forward the ‘less deadly evolving virus’ narrative …..

elginCity

My point is that one line of scientific opinion was relied on. Alrternatives such as formulated in the Great Barrington Declaration were shouted down, ridiculed and even described as letting people die; such was the media hysteria.
The scientific community also shouted down the reckless Great Barrington Declaration, for sound scientific reasons.

Alistair20000

The scientific community also shouted down the reckless Great Barrington Declaration, for sound scientific reasons.

Those are just opinions too.

elginCity

Those are just opinions too.
But the government couldn’t choose to follow every opinion, not least one rubbished by experts - as its aim was to protect the economy whilst squashing a bloody great sombrero i.e not at all costs.

Mr Jinx

Dr Steve James (the unvaccinated one) given air time on GB News tonight where he was somewhat celebrated.

He spoke a lot of sense but his most interesting point was to point out that the country went fairly quickly from "the vaccine is good at reducing the risk of death to the elderly, obese and vulnerable" to just "the vaccine is good" with no real science to back the latter statement up. And it's concerning that it ended up being the definitive narrative with anyone questioning being treated with contempt.