• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Matt Taylor Derby Part Deux -a.k.a. Walsall F C v Exeter City AFC Saturday 22nd Jan 2022 Discussion Thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
After Saturday's resounding victory over the Iron we now face the trip up the M5/M6 to Walsall, the ground what you can see from the Motorway. Away ticket sales seem to be going extremely well with only 60 left of our 500 allocation, there is pay on the gate if you can't buy a ticket so don't fret too much. But it does seem that the team will be well supported for this away day

A quick glance at the Walsall forum shows some discontent and unrest creeping into their fanbase with dissatisfaction at board members and despair in transfer dealings . Like a lot of clubs they have suffered with a COVID out break in the cam.

They currently lie in 15th spot in the table with 29 points from 24 games, their current home form in the last six matches is won 1 drawn 4 lost 1 with their victory being a 3-0 win over struggling Colchester (before Onwura Edwards) and they average crowds around 4500. Their centre Half Manny Monthe was banned for seven matches by the FA in December for abusive and insulting words when he was playing for Tranmere against the Vegans last season so will be missing the match.

With no more improvement to our injury position and unless we make a signing this week I would expect the same team to turn out on Saturday
Dawson
Sweeney Stubbs Diabete
Key Collins Dieng Caprice
Brown Jay
Zanzala

Subs Brown Ray Taylor Amond Atagana Kite Sparkes

As the team starts to settle down again let's hope for another clean sheet for Cam and OZ to continue where he started 3-0 to the Exeter Zanzala Jay and Dieng

Onwards and upwards (although as things stand proably static but three points more for the collection

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite confident we’ll get a win but then our record at Walsall is pretty dire. Can only think of 1 win there in the past 20 years, when Nards scored a double.

I wonder if Hartridge will be in contention and if so, the only change I can see is him coming in for Diabate but I’d happily go unchanged.

We should take a health support and hopefully we’ll come away with 3 points.

2-1 City - Jay and Zanzala

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quite confident we’ll get a win but then our record at Walsall is pretty dire. Can only think of 1 win there in the past 20 years, when Nards scored a double.

I wonder if Hartridge will be in contention and if so, the only change I can see is him coming in for Diabate but I’d happily go unchanged.

We should take a health support and hopefully we’ll come away with 3 points.

2-1 City - Jay and Zanzala
I'm sure the nutritional experts will make sure the players have had their vitamins and supplements

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jack rather than Jake please....

Alistair20000

A bad ground for us.

0-0 draw.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Zanzala to score twice and provide us with greatest Exeter City player performance against Walsall since Mike Cecere!!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another intriguing game to look forward to. Usually an away point wouldn't be too bad a result but as we're trying to play catch-up a win would be a real boost.

denzel

Revenge for the game in 2020 wouldn't be a bad motivation, though I don't think we will have many playing on Saturday who played in that match!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Revenge for the game in 2020 wouldn't be a bad motivation, though I don't think we will have many playing on Saturday who played in that match!
A quick look at soccerbase tells me that Atangana, Collins and Jay started that day with Sweeney coming off the bench.

STURTZ

We have survived the sh*tstorm, climbed back onto the surfboard and are now starting to ride the wave that will eventually propel us into league 1.

Do up your wetsuits and hold tight, this is going to be a trip!