• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Trophy 2021/22 (Pizza tournament)

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry but that is just plain crazy, to suggest that the Club should "turn it's nose up" on the quarter of a million quid on offer ! It would be a substantial help in achieving our goals !
The reality is, the chances of us beating Portsmouth away, Cambridge away and Rotherham away with our already depleted squad is slim to none, so that 250k becomes irrelevant and we will have probably picked up even more injuries and further spoiled our league campaign in the meantime.

C j phill

One thing for sure Lady Luck has well and truly turned her back on us at present.
In the 50 odd years that I've been supporting City, I dont think we've had much good luck throughout that whole period. I know people say that luck evens out, but that's not been my experience with City.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry but that is just plain crazy, to suggest that the Club should "turn it's nose up" on the quarter of a million quid on offer ! It would be a substantial help in achieving our goals !
It comes with hidden costs. We've lost Nombe for months due to an injury in an FA Cup Replay. We haven't won since then.
The priority is the league and playing potentially three other games in two weeks might well harm that.

Colesman Ballz

We are a football club FFS ! We exist to play football, if you want a "risk free" environment then perhaps we should be playing tiddly winks instead ! :p

Pobbop

We don't play a full side for these games, and in the end these games mean we have Diabate, Kite and the like with some invaluable experience which means they can fit in when they make the first team. TBH some of the matches played in this comp are super-pleasing for us.

SaintJames

The reality is, the chances of us beating Portsmouth away, Cambridge away and Rotherham away with our already depleted squad is slim to none, so that 250k becomes irrelevant and we will have probably picked up even more injuries and further spoiled our league campaign in the meantime.
I reckon we have a better chance if we were playing Pompey at home but apart from that I agree 100%. If we were taking home £260k if we won Friday and Tuesday that would be one thing but Rotherham away is only the quarter final stage. As others have said this competition threatens to totally derail our season and any chance of promotion

andrew p long

Our chances of beating Portsmouth away are lower than slim to none. Because we're playing them at home!

Maxi08

I'm not sure the general argument of the prize money being good holds as much water as some people make out to be honest. All the extra games we would have to play (plus the additional travelling) would certainly impact on league form and therefore our chances of achieving promotion.

Yes another £260k would be nice, but it's not like the club is in dire need of the money at the present time. I would be equally happy if we lose on Friday and concentrate on climbing the L2 table.
Our league form is shit anyway so I don’t see how it will impact it, we’ve got players coming back from injury and youngsters who need game time , can’t see the problem , if we enter it we might as well win it 🤷🏻‍♂️

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
We are a football club FFS ! We exist to play football, if you want a "risk free" environment then perhaps we should be playing tiddly winks instead ! :p
Not as 'risk free' as you may think ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9730111/NZ-woman-finds-TIDDLYWINK-stuck-nose-37-years-pain.html

Ian Tarr

I worked with a bloke many years ago, who was amazed to have a tiddlywink removed after nasal trouble.