• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Match Day Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I haven't read through the thread, so I'm sure it's already been touched on, but what happened to Owura yesterday? His control was abysmal and he ran around like a headless chicken without achieving anything. When Jevani came on the difference in quality and composure was clear to see.

Daniel was much improved, and Collins was excellent and M of M for me but Hartridge did play well.
Agreed, though Dieng was my MoM. I also though Taylor played well, especially 1st half, and was surprised when he was subbed first and Owura stayed on. Maybe he had a knock. Daniel got better as the game progressed, maybe he just needs game time.

Though as soon as Amond was on the pitch we looked more lively.

Pobbop

I think Edwards ATM is a perfect sub, clearly not a starter for the time being.

SaintJames

I would sacrifice Jay to allow the development of a Nombe-Amond partnership as I don't think Jay's all round game is as good as it was last season and in the current system he is getting a bit too Lee Martin for my liking, ten yards too far behind Nombe leaving him isolated when the ball gets fired in to him. If he had Podge playing right up beside him, Podges movement would open up the spaces for Nombe to exploit and I think Podge would get the goals that Jay is, to be fair to him, still scoring.
Not sure I would agree with swapping the leading scorer for one yet to score?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We aren't ruthless enough because we don't move the ball quick enough going forwards. Our creative players like to take a touch too many, hold on to the ball a second or two too long. We have potentially the most complete striker we've had in years up front and we aren't utilising him enough. Sam Nombe is strong, powerful and, most of all, quick. He is a defenders worst nightmare if they have to get into a race with him because they're going to struggle to out muscle him in the first instance and then they're going to struggle to keep up with him. Get the ball down the channels for him to run onto (and I'm not on about aimless punts forward from the back four, I'm on about decent passes from midfield). The worst thing that is going to happen is we're going to re-start with a throw in 20-25 yards from their goal.
My thoughts exactly.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The more I watch it the more amazed at how "Podge" not only managed to keep the ball in but also managed to "reverse-chip" it back so perfectly.

Had that been in the Premier League it would have been replayed many, many times.

For that reason, already my candidate for goal of the season...or, failing that, at very least assist of the season

grecIAN Harris

The more I watch it the more amazed at how "Podge" not only managed to keep the ball in but also managed to "reverse-chip" it back so perfectly.

Had that been in the Premier League it would have been replayed many, many times.

For that reason, already my candidate for goal of the season...or, failing that, at very least assist of the season
It comes with experience and attacking instinct. He already had a picture of what was in the box and where and how he was going to play the ball. As I said in my summing up of the match, had it been any other player retrieving that ball, it would have laid back out to Daniel at left back and the chance probably would have gone.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
It comes with experience and attacking instinct. He already had a picture of what was in the box and where and how he was going to play the ball. As I said in my summing up of the match, had it been any other player retrieving that ball, it would have laid back out to Daniel at left back and the chance probably would have gone.
Podge has vision from all his experience - the younger players need to watch & learn before Newport drag him back in Jan !

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Podge has vision from all his experience - the younger players need to watch & learn before Newport drag him back in Jan !
Is he on loan? I thought we'd signed him.

iscalad

Is he on loan? I thought we'd signed him.
Season long loan

STURTZ

I know Nombe may have been desperate to score but he really needs to look up more. When through on goal towards the end he only had to pass the ball across to Brown(?) for an easy tap in, but chose to shoot. A recurring observation.