• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you listen to what the victims said and its the same old tale, The victims, Because of the abuser that abused the victims they had drug, alchohol issues plus were known to Police as serial offenders for car theft, Burglaries etc and the abuser must of had a clever lawyer and used that against the victims and the jury believed him, They were self harming, Committed suicide, The whole system let them down as they do time and time again, I thought the female Police Det Sgt was amazing and persued it till the CPS agreed he should be charged and stand trial and she got him convicted on all counts. This case was over a 3 yr period too.
I have not seen the programme,but that sounds similar to the scandal in Rotherham a few years ago.
Some of the perpetrators were eventually brought to justice after years of various agencies ignoring the victims.
It would make for a uncomfortable TV documentary for the South Yorkshire Police & Social Services in that area.

DB9

I have not seen the programme,but that sounds similar to the scandal in Rotherham a few years ago.
Some of the perpetrators were eventually brought to justice after years of various agencies ignoring the victims.
It would make for a uncomfortable TV documentary for the South Yorkshire Police & Social Services in that area.
Its hard viewing Olds, But the same old story, These abusers know their targets, Vunerable kids, Some in the care system, Others very easy to persude, Skip school, Ply them with booze and drugs and we know the rest, Unfortunatly we have a Social Service system not fit for purpose, Mounting caseloads and very few Social Workers.

DB9

4 Hours at the Capitol BBC2 last night, Story of the riots at the Capitol building in Washington on 6th Jan. Told by those that were there, Rioting and defending the place, What came to me was the total belief by the rioters that Trump's election was stolen without a shred of evidence, The poor Police response and even after what they witnessed, The Republican Congress men and women still objected to Biden winning, The US is screwed and divided.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

4 Hours at the Capitol BBC2 last night, Story of the riots at the Capitol building in Washington on 6th Jan. Told by those that were there, Rioting and defending the place, What came to me was the total belief by the rioters that Trump's election was stolen without a shred of evidence, The poor Police response and even after what they witnessed, The Republican Congress men and women still objected to Biden winning, The US is screwed and divided.
I love a good storm me and so this was compulsive viewing.

If only the stormers had had some kind of plan post entry, then there really would've been fireworks. As it was, they got in, shouted and walked round a bit, smoked some weed, broke some windows, then went home after one of them got shot.

All a bit of a storm in a teacup really. Not really tanks on the lawn coup was it.

Alistair20000

When i was a nipper, a friend lived on a farm and he was often out and about in a tractor at that age. I seem to remember that the test, if you can call it that, was something as simple as having to reverse around a corner.

It seemed odd even then that someone could drive a bleddy great tractor and trailer around before they could drive a car!
I love reading tales from the 1930’s :)

Oldsmobile-88

21st October 1989.

Usual Saturday early evening offerings on ITV for the time.All good rating winners in the era before mass TV channels.

C4 were re showing the excellent,A Family at War which was a Granada TV production broadcasted over 3 series(52 episodes)originally from 1970-72.
It was a drama about 3 families in Liverpool set against the backdrop to the build up & participation of this country in WW2.
Colin Douglas(1912-91) who played Edwin Ashton was a Glider Pilot during the war,participating in the invasion of Sicily & the ill fated Operation Market Garden(Arnhem)

AEB965E2-83FC-4041-9BF1-DD4730A4DA59.jpeg889F3275-867C-429B-8474-044E087A6945.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
After A Family at War..The Francois Truffaut(1932-84)film season continued,Le Dernier Metro(The Last Metro)(1980) one of the last from the great French Director.

It’s about time that Film 4 ran a selection of his work.

Banksy

I bought the dvd box set of Family at War for my mother way back and now four or five years ago for my wife.Both really enjoyed it.Think there was a sequel to it but can’t recall the title.

DB9

I bought the dvd box set of Family at War for my mother way back and now four or five years ago for my wife.Both really enjoyed it.Think there was a sequel to it but can’t recall the title.
The Australian TV series "The Sullivans", Which was showed on ITV was based on Family at War.

Banksy

The Australian TV series "The Sullivans", Which was showed on ITV was based on Family at War.
Realised the one I was thinking of was made ten years later than Family at War and it was called Spoils of War.

Reactions: DB9