• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

First time at a match!

Paddyirishman

Hi All,

There are three of us coming over from Ireland for the Carlisle game on 20th November.

Just looking for a bit of help as we've never been to Exeter!

- do the local buses take cash or do you need a ticket first?
- what's the best pub before (and after) the game?

Cheers!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
No idea on the buses but try Red Square at the ground, it’s right behind the main stand and all are welcome. Regarding cash you’ll need a ticket to get into the game (which I’m pretty sure you can buy on the day) as there’s no pay at the turnstiles regardless of your preferred payment method.
Once inside the ground unfortunately it’s strictly cash only, although I’m not sure about the bar in the Stagecoach Stand as I sit in the main stand opposite.

If you want the singing section then stand behind the goal on the Big Bank, which is currently the largest terrace in English football (unless you’re coming over to support Carlisle, in which case you’ll either be sitting in the end block of the main stand or standing behind the goal at the opposite end to the Big Bank. Regardless of all that, both home and away fans are free to mix in Red Square, which is opposite the club shop should you wish to pick up a bit of merch while you’re here).

manc grecian

You can still pay cash on the big bank.

Trapdoor

If you're staying actually in Exeter you wont need to use busses. Everything is within walking distance although I guess you may need a cab or bus from the airport? I think most cabs and busses take either card or cash these days.

For drinking pregame the imperial (spoons), blackhorse and firehouse are decent although the blackie is often busy. The SJP red square bar at the ground and FECRACE bar inside are both great.

iscalad

If you're staying actually in Exeter you wont need to use busses. Everything is within walking distance although I guess you may need a cab or bus from the airport? I think most cabs and busses take either card or cash these days.

For drinking pregame the imperial (spoons), blackhorse and firehouse are decent although the blackie is often busy. The SJP red square bar at the ground and FECRACE bar inside are both great.
If you like Real Ale..FECRACE is the place to be. Inside the main bar area around to the left.
We have welcoming ambassadors at the entrances to the ground who will be only to willing to help you.
You can buy tickets in advance from here..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Old Firehouse is a great pub, especially if you don't mind students! Apparently the pizzas are also good there.

But the real ale bar in the Centre Spot does great ales, and some ciders but absolutely no lager.

{I've moved the thread to WoWs, I don't mind it being there}

denzel

Think all the local buses use contact less and no longer accept cash.

fred binneys head

Welcome to the club Paddy, hope you see a resounding win for City. I assume you'll be wearing your lucky pants made out of 4 leaf clovers or whatever, and you'll spend at least two hours of your trip telling us all that Guinness doesn't travel well and it's nothing like it is back home. I hope you and your mates really enjoy your trip to our wonderful city!

Oldsmobile-88

Think all the local buses use contact less and no longer accept cash.
They still take cash.

Oldsmobile-88

You can still pay cash on the big bank.
Only from the turnstile on Stadium Way.Not available from Well Street/Jungle Path turnstile.