• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Under appreciated City Players

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Really??? At least give us some kind of reasoning rather than just a name that leaves us looking at the computer in complete bewilderment.
Perhaps you need to consult your beloved "Barcodes" manager Steve Bruce, whom I recall being very "taken" with Little Les in a preseason friendly at the real SJP, whilst manager of Brum ! :unsure:

CC

I think the phrase you're looking for is appeared. Sometimes beggars can't be choosers. The five years he was with lead ultimately to us losing our position in the league.
From memory he was a decent left back then broke his leg(?) and was never the same after he came back.

Grecian Max

Neither long servants of the club, but Basham and Ribeiro were quality, and both were under appreciated IMO.
Didn't Ribeiro win play of the year lol, so underrated

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me the most unfairly vilified City player of recent vintage would be David Noble (as others have already mentioned).

One of the bravest footballers I've seen in a City shirt. By that I mean he always played by his principles - looking for the ball, offering himself to the keeper, back four or at throw-ins, and then looked to pass (not hoof) the ball. He'd be the same whether we were winning and on top, or whether we were behind and the crowd was on his back.

He'd never hide and I liked his style...on the pitch.
Not sure he was vilified that much for his on-field performances but more for his behaviour off the pitch.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
...which left him plying his trade as a midfielder with no first touch or passing ability. Under-rated? Tillson would never have been given a contract at a league club without his dad's influence. There are better midfielders (including defensive midfielders) playing part-time up and down the country.
I suggest you dig out the highlights of the Carlisle away play-off game as he was outstanding that day and did a brilliant job of disrupting Carlisle's midfield and stopping the supply to their wingers.

Grecian2K

Steve Flack?
Over 400 appearances and nearly 100 goals for the Grecians but still oft vilified on here.
Or, a player from a different era but of very similar style, John "Carthorse" Wingate.

Oldsmobile-88

Going back a bit further Ray Pratt...61 goals in 173 appearances.46 of those appearances were from the bench.
With those stats he should have been on the Jungle Path Walk of Fame.
A great back up when Tony Kellow was unavailable in
1980-83.
A bit of a super sub in the David Fairclough(Liverpool for you youngsters) mould in his early career at SJP.

dontpassback

Going back a bit further Ray Pratt...61 goals in 173 appearances.46 of those appearances were from the bench.
With those stats he should have been on the Jungle Path Walk of Fame.
A great back up when Tony Kellow was unavailable in
1980-83.
A bit of a super sub in the David Fairclough(Liverpool for you youngsters) mould in his early career at SJP.
Absolutely spot on,ray pratt was a more than capable striker,who knew where the net was and always gave it 100%

Barry Corr ?

Couldn't control the 'red mist' at that point in his career although he would go on to enjoy a better press at Southend and Cambridge. What about his fellow Irishman Liam McAlinden?

Langer

Jason Rees and Andy Roscoe and to a lesser extent Danny Clay and Lee Elam.