• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Championship 21/22

sign of the chimes

BBC reports that Derby County are set to go into administration.
Looks like a tactical decision given the points penalty they're set to receive for the financial shenannigans that have been going on there for the last few years. My gut feeling is that this is one of those where they will feel the short-term pain but probably be okay after that as they don't appear to have masses of football creditors (they've been cutting their budget for the past few years) and have a big fanbase and relatively modern stadium. A lot depends on who 'rescues' them; but there's a viable proposition there.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
So how many points deduction will they get? Suppose they will take the hit , drop to League One , then hope they can storm all the way back.

Colesman Ballz

So how many points deduction will they get? Suppose they will take the hit , drop to League One , then hope they can storm all the way back.
12 points, but there are another 9 points "hanging over their heads" for other financial wrong doings that are under investigation !

Banksy

12 points, but there are another 9 points "hanging over their heads" for other financial wrong doings that are under investigation !
So potential 21 , and therefore a seemingly inevitable drop to League One.

sign of the chimes

Also being reported that Reading could end up with a nine point deduction. Eye watering losses there.

fred binneys head

Looks like a tactical decision given the points penalty they're set to receive for the financial shenannigans that have been going on there for the last few years. My gut feeling is that this is one of those where they will feel the short-term pain but probably be okay after that as they don't appear to have masses of football creditors (they've been cutting their budget for the past few years) and have a big fanbase and relatively modern stadium. A lot depends on who 'rescues' them; but there's a viable proposition there.
They have a lot of secured creditors and a huge amount owed to HMRC who now have to be paid in full since the rules changed. I’m sure someone will step up rather than see them go bust, but it isn’t an easy deal to get away.

sign of the chimes

They have a lot of secured creditors and a huge amount owed to HMRC who now have to be paid in full since the rules changed. I’m sure someone will step up rather than see them go bust, but it isn’t an easy deal to get away.
Yes. I have to say my opinion in relation to Derby has changed somewhat since the news broke; and having become acquainted with more of the detail. There was a good piece in the Athletic a few days ago which also mentioned the change in the rules regarding HMRC, which I'd not been aware of until then. The name of one of the administrators appointed has also raised a few eyebrows in Portsmouth.

LOG

Another issue for Derby is that Pride Park isn't owned by the football club.

DB9

Another issue for Derby is that Pride Park isn't owned by the football club.
It's owned by Mel Morris ( The Owner, Think that's his name), He bought it around 2015/16, No doubt this "Asset" is totally separate from the club.

LOG

It's owned by Mel Morris ( The Owner, Think that's his name), He bought it around 2015/16, No doubt this "Asset" is totally separate from the club.
It is. He essentially "sold" it to himself for £80m then leased it back to the football club.