• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scunthorpe United V Exeter City MDT

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That goal was such a relief. We'd been much the better side and had had all the territory and possession but just looked a bit over-anxious and struggled to create too many decent opportunities. The game's been a bit scrappy at times but if we can get the ball down and trust our passing game we should get more chances to score in the second half. The whole team has played well but Hartridge has been the star including one run with the ball that took him all the way to the edge of the Scunny box.
I was trying not to tempt fate at half-time but it did feel like once we'd got that first goal we would go on to win comfortably and that was one of the most one-sided halves of football I can remember seeing. The commentary team said it was like a first team versus the under-18's but to me it reminded me of a pre-season friendly against a local non-league side who know they've been out-classed and whose heads have started to drop. At one point Key and Ray were smiling and laughing while Caprice and Brown were bringing out the party tricks with lots of step-overs and back heels. Bristol Rovers were woeful in defence but they did at least show a bit of fight and spirit, even if it was too litle too late. Scunthorpe were just woeful all over the pitch and completely lacking in organisation or self-belief. However, City can only beat what's in front of them and if we keep drawing against the decent teams and thrashing the not-so-good teams we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

In terms of individual players Dawson and the back three were in complete control all afternoon which allowed Hartridge to show off his quality on the ball. Key started slowly but grew into the game and deserved his goal; on the other wing Caprice was full of energy and pace on the ball - yes his left foot let him down at times but he still managed to set up a goal. Kite was neat and tidy but let himself down with one reckless tackle that got him booked and it was good to see Dieng lasting the full 90 for the first time and having the energy to get in the box for his goal. Nombe worked hard and didn't get many chances but he did create the space for Brown and Jay to show their class and both were absolutely brilliant.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Scrappy first half, fantastic second half. We looked totally solid at the back and exciting going forward (second half).

Who was the coach that Sweenz put on his shoulders at the end and what was that all about?

eurogrecian

Indeed it was a big match today, it's all very well picking up the odd point against good sides, but winning promotion is about pummelling poor sides, as there are always poor sides in this division.
Something we’ve conspicuously failed to do in recent seasons….
Top result and top performance and super to see the players salute the fans at the end
UTC

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Special mention to the city fans too, they were outstanding from about 20 minutes before kick off through to the end, constant singing throughout, absolutely brilliant.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well done the bauys. I'm told that some clown had this as a home win in the Prediction Thread.............🤡

ecfc2000

Don't away goals count double?
(They sure will at chez 2k)
Of course, you're right, what was i thinking!

CraigECFC

Special mention to the city fans too, they were outstanding from about 20 minutes before kick off through to the end, constant singing throughout, absolutely brilliant.
definitely deserve a mention, they were top class. Drum and flags taken up by the collective. Commentary said it looked like a promotion party at full time with fans and players both loving it. Great to see!

Exehausted

definitely deserve a mention, they were top class. Drum and flags taken up by the collective. Commentary said it looked like a promotion party at full time with fans and players both loving it. Great to see!
Lets hope it results in an improvement in the home attendance next week. The players deserve the Park to be rocking after a result like that.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mat Taylor - our away fans are second to none at this level
Looks like they proved the manager right. Definitely came across loud and clear on iFollow.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
A brilliant game to watch. Our 3rd and 4th goals were brilliant footballing goals. Really pleased for Caprice who I thought was outstanding. On that showing he will be difficult to dislodge from the team.

Nombe, Brown and Dieng are really impressing me for different reasons. We look like we are starting to click. Long may that continue