• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nicky Ajose

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not me today. Someone asked about which budget he was being paid out of. You don’t answer that but have a pop at me….. other people are still talking about it so it must still be relevant.
Neither did you, but saw it as an opportunity for a swipe at the club for his presence there although in consolatory tones and also drag up the old injured players debate, as a diversionary tactic, will surely ensure the thread continues rotating for the next few weeks, and for that reason I'm out

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Neither did you, but saw it as an opportunity for a swipe at the club for his presence there although in consolatory tones and also drag up the old injured players debate, as a diversionary tactic, will surely ensure the thread continues rotating for the next few weeks, and for that reason I'm out
FWIW I thought Mart's post wasn't anything of the sort.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
It would be 'interesting' to know what budget is being used to accommodate his coaching aspirations. Bearing in mind the consensus seems to be that he was one of our better paid 'players' we can't surely be paying him the same to be an academy coach?
I'm surprised you take this tone at times malc, given your history with the club. When you were a director, didn't you get annoyed by supporters making cynical suggestions about the way the club was run, with no basis in fact, only to claim when challenged that they're simply 'interested'? And that was before social media and the internet.

I'm not interested at all in how much Ajose is paid, what currency he's paid in, whose budget it comes out of, what his inside leg measurement is or what he had for lunch last Saturday. I trust the club and the manager to do what's right for the club and, ultimately, they'll be judged on results.

Not 'interesting' at all.

EDIT: and I say this as someone who has respect for you for leading the club at a difficult time and putting your own money up with no chance of repayment, fair play to you (genuinely).

Alistair20000

The only question to be asked is whether what he is doing is delivering value for what money he is being paid. He most certainly did not as a player, or perhaps more accurately, as a non player.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
The only question to be asked is whether what he is doing is delivering value for what money he is being paid. He most certainly did not as a player, or perhaps more accurately, as a non player.
Or was Nicky Ajose actually on a 3 yr deal and instead of paying off his contract we have found some value in him being part of the youth coaching staff. ;)
Either way, I trust that the club wouldn't have him around if he wasn't providing some sort of positive value to the club and the Academy.

fred binneys head

But you say that without knowing what he was paid. What if he was on a ‘pay as you play’ deal, would your view be different?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I expect there are at least two sides to the story; there usually are.

He played more times for us than Stubbs seems likely to (17); was injured playing; and thereafter chose / or was advised not to train on the 4G pitch for fear of making it worse, which led to MT saying he couldn't be picked.

Alistair20000

But you say that without knowing what he was paid. What if he was on a ‘pay as you play’ deal, would your view be different?
My view remains the same. I don't need the detail. Is what he is being paid VFM ? The principle applies to all fact situations.

If, as some have suggested, we are still paying him under his original playing/non-playing contract, then any services he supplies will be VFM given that even if he is still being paid under the original contract KMT is not going to select him.

Average Joe

Well that's more time than he has for our club, or its supporters, or his teammates. How can you possibly like someone who refused to train for two seasons while being one of our top earners? That's despicable. Ajose shouldn't be anywhere near our academy unless we want them to develop into work-shy wasters as well...

If the rumours are true, it can surely only be the case that his contract hadn't expired this summer and we had to try and find something that he's actually willing to do for his wages, since training and scoring goals didn't seem to be part of the deal...
Do we have concrete evidence that he refused training? I thought it was down to injury

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or was Nicky Ajose actually on a 3 yr deal and instead of paying off his contract we have found some value in him being part of the youth coaching staff. ;)
Either way, I trust that the club wouldn't have him around if he wasn't providing some sort of positive value to the club and the Academy.
Please read the thread that conspiracy theory has been put to bed at least twice! In fact the Manager and the club stated on the record his contract had expired at the end of last season!