• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT Exeter v Chelsea : PJT 7pm KO

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry, I'm with Pete this time. How do you expect to save a shot if you're not even looking at it? He went backwards when he should have been coming forward. This is basic goalkeeping not something you pick up with years of experience.
His technique was arguably at fault. That does not in itself mean he had a bad game. I will let him off given the circumstances.

Maxi08

Sorry, I'm with Pete this time. How do you expect to save a shot if you're not even looking at it? He went backwards when he should have been coming forward. This is basic goalkeeping not something you pick up with years of experience.
Anyway, back to this match. I'm really not very impressed by goalkeeper Harry Lee. His approach off of his line for Chelseas goal was really poor. Obviously self preservation came before making a half decent effort to go down at the players feet in a proper manner. Totally turned his back when that shot was struck! Virtually presented their player with an open goal!
Anyway, back to this match. I'm really not very impressed by goalkeeper Harry Lee. His approach off of his line for Chelseas goal was really poor. Obviously self preservation came before making a half decent effort to go down at the players feet in a proper manner. Totally turned his back when that shot was struck! Virtually presented their player with an open goal!
Oh yeh cause he’s going to be perfect at 16 with no gk coach for 12 months, perhaps we should off sold him in the summer when we had the chance , good job your not the manager 😂

Grecianpasty

Your question makes no sense.

Once he was back in position he was staring straight at the attacker.

The issue is that he went too far back before advancing towards the Chelsea striker.

Any striker would be expected to score that goal.

Bridgy 81

I’m not sure what you’re basing your view of not being very impressed with Harry Lee on.
Perhaps you’re trying to be deliberately provocative and I don’t understand your sense of irony or humour.
If it’s him conceding one goal last night against a Chelsea side then I do find your comment somewhat strange.
Harry is 16 years old and someone we were very pleased to retain earlier in the summer and have high hopes for in the future.
Was there anything he did last night, in what was I think his first team debut, that you thought was worthy of praise and encouragement, or do you prefer to disregard any of that in favour of exclusively highlighting one, what you consider to be error?

WXF

It's incredibly tedious and unpleasantly negative, but holding goal keepers responsible for conceding goals - when we all know football is a team game - is unfortunately Pete's favourite pastime/ obsession on Exeweb. Top marks for calling out ridiculous criticism of a very young player though (y)

older-codger

Just to clarify - I would agree that he could have done better in that particular instance but I don't expect international standards of keeping and decision making from a 16 year old! He made a great save in the second half and was generally competent otherwise. To ignore his overall performance for the sake of one instance that he will no doubt learn from is just unnecessary nit-picking.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your question makes no sense.

Once he was back in position he was staring straight at the attacker.

The issue is that he went too far back before advancing towards the Chelsea striker.

Any striker would be expected to score that goal.
He was never in position which is the point.
As for looking at the ball, as soon as the shot is hit he turns his head away to his right and the ball goes down his left on his near post (and getting done on your near post isn't clever). If he's not looking at the ball, how can he react to it. This is basic goalkeeping we're talking about here not anything clever, positioning and keeping your eye in the ball.
And yes, given the room Lee allowed him by backing off, he would expect to score. If he stands his ground with angle that the striker is coming in at, Lee stands a far greater chance of stopping it to the point that it would be a bloody good finish to score.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Oh yeh cause he’s going to be perfect at 16 with no gk coach for 12 months, perhaps we should off sold him in the summer when we had the chance , good job your not the manager 😂
It basic goalkeeping that a keeper with the kind of footballing education that Lee has had should be able to deal with. I don't care whether he is 16 or 40.

PeteUSA

It basic goalkeeping that a keeper with the kind of footballing education that Lee has had should be able to deal with. I don't care whether he is 16 or 40.

Quite so Ian. One of the first commodities that a keeper should have buttoned up, even at 16, is how to advance off of his line in the proper most effective way. Unfortunately it seems keepers up and down the leagues are resorting to the feet first studs up approach, leaving very little for the ball to hit. They dont face up to the attacker in the proper manner and go to ground with their body spread across the likely path of the ball. It seems not getting themselves injured is uppermost in their minds. Have a look at that disgraceful challenge from Jordan Pickford on Liverpools Van djlk back a while, its just a more aggressive version of what Lee, and many others do! Feet first, with no thought for life or limb. An awful challenge from Englands No 1. Gordon Banks would turn in his grave.

geoffwp

Pete. Ian. You're talking thru your arses.