• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

4-0 at Half Time!

CraigECFC

Best first half I’ve seen following city was Sunderland away. 3-3 at HT. That first half alone was worth the massive journey.

Ian Tarr

Re my post #19, I was wrong. The sub wasn't Jimmy Giles, but Johnny Giles (not THE Johnny Giles, of course, but another midfielder we signed from Bristol City). Jimmy joined us the following season.

And although the Rothmans Yearbook has it as 6-0 at half-time, the report on p.138 of Exeter City A Complete Record 1904-1990, says it was 5-0 at half-time. So maybe my memory isn't completely shot.

The other thing is that they were Swansea Town in those days, only changing to their current name later that same season. And I also think I recall that the return match was their first with the new name.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was the game where Andy Gosney made his one and only appearance for us in goal. Utterly dreadful and he ended his career but injuring himself when trying to clear the ball. He produced an air kick and tore his ligaments.
Yes, the only player I've ever seen going off with an embarrassment injury

Colesman Ballz

Re my post #19, I was wrong. The sub wasn't Jimmy Giles, but Johnny Giles (not THE Johnny Giles, of course, but another midfielder we signed from Bristol City). Jimmy joined us the following season.

And although the Rothmans Yearbook has it as 6-0 at half-time, the report on p.138 of Exeter City A Complete Record 1904-1990, says it was 5-0 at half-time. So maybe my memory isn't completely shot.

The other thing is that they were Swansea Town in those days, only changing to their current name later that same season. And I also think I recall that the return match was their first with the new name.
I too remember it was 5-0 at half time, and 6-0 at the finish. Iirc Swans were at or near the top of the league at the time, and wasn't Jimmy Blain pressed into service as an emergency striker and scored two ?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
A few days before, we'd lost at home!

Ian Tarr

and wasn't Jimmy Blain pressed into service as an emergency striker and scored two ?
He was indeed, CB.

Spoonz Red E

I too remember it was 5-0 at half time, and 6-0 at the finish. Iirc Swans were at or near the top of the league at the time, and wasn't Jimmy Blain pressed into service as an emergency striker and scored two ?
Going home afterwards with my brother he was quite upset that we'd only scored one goal in the second half.
He looked quite crestfallen at a mere 6-0 victory.
He's been teased about if a few times since.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, the only player I've ever seen going off with an embarrassment injury
That injury ended Andy Gosney’s career!

sidney

He was indeed, CB.
Yes Jimmy Blain scored twice. I think he came to us as a right winger and first played in that position. I was at the game, and my recollection is 6-0 at half time. Pretty certain of it.

Topsham Boy

Here's one I had to look up!
Division Four, Wednesday October 1st, 1969:
Exeter City 6 Swansea City 0!
It's listed as 6-0 at half-time.
I remembered it as 6-1, and 5-0 at half time, so it shows the old memory is beginning to go.
Team: Peter Shearing; Campbell Crawford, Steve Morris; Graham Parker, Brian Sharples (sub: Jimmy Giles), Mike Balson; Johnny Corr, Jimmy Blain, John Wingate, John Mitten, Bruce Walker.
Scorers: Blain 2, Corr 2, Wingate, Mitten.
Yes….I was there……in the Cowshed.