• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Bristol Rovers Match Day Thread

hillview red

Dawson - excellent saves and nothing he could have done about the goal.
Key - Back on form and nearly scored goal of the season. Hope other clubs weren’t watching too closely today...
Caprice - Best game in City shirt for me. Not convinced he’s the LWB solution but credit where credit is due. Great seeing him go at the full back rather than check back.
Hartridge - Excellent. Assured and calm - great to have him back. Developing really well...
Ray & Sweeney - solid and composed.
Kite & Dieng - worked hard and great that they’re on the scoresheet.
Jay - Took his goals well and much improved. Helped by Amond’s intelligent movement which created more space for him and also Jevani playing further forward.
Brown - Brilliant ball in for Dieng’s goal. Constant menace and the Rovers defenders didn’t know whether to get tight, drop off or just boot him.
Amond - will be disappointed not to be on the scoresheet but moved their centre halves all over the place during his time on the pitch. He’s a shrewd signing who will hopefully have a huge role to play on and off the field this year.

Subs
Nombe - Not a moan as such but felt he really struggled. Hoping that Amond will be able to mentor him as there’s a great player in there but a little raw.
Atangana - not really sure why he came on if he’s carrying a knock...
Edwards - Stupid yellow card but ran around alot

Great result. Particularly impressed by Brown and Amond. UTC

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Jake to be relieved of the LWB role. We are talking Matt Taylor here, the man who played a right winger as Left Wing Back in a Play off final despite having a left footed LWB, LB and LCB all at his disposal on the subs bench
True. Just sorry for Caprice whom I have always rated as a good right wingback. He's not at his best at left back and I think people are critical of.
Interesting though that, as a Rovers fan pointed out to me, all our threat came down the left side.
Shame Sparkes is out, but his game was built on putting in enticing crosses for? Who exactly? We're not a team with aggressive attackers of an aerial ball. The attacking the box on foot and passing to get goalscoring position certainly worked today.
Still think a left footed wing back would improve us however.

Red Devon

Good assessment hillview...Caprice certainly ain’t a LWB but did have a very good game today.

DB9

Brilliant day, 1st half amazing, 2nd half I'd like to have seen more goals, We let Rovers start to pass the ball around too much imo, Their goal was pretty special but the result was never in doubt by then, Fans were amazing, Really made for the atmosphere, A good crowd and hoping this result Really kick starts our season, We really needed those goals too, The table looks much better. Not sure when I'll be back at the Park but loved every minute of it, People who don't like football just wouldn't understand.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Jay’s second goal was an incredible finish. It looked great live but just watched it back and it was superb. So pleased he’s off the mark and that will hopefully boost his confidence.

Everyone played well today. Special mention to Dawson in goal and Kite looked like a seasoned pro. All of a sudden we look like a squad that can do something and with a couple more additions, plus injuries coming back, I think we can have a great season. Well done to Matt and the boys.

denzel

Only two points off the autos.....

denzel

The Bristol Post is quite brutal in their player ratings:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Interesting that he said "we need to win the physical battle". A Matt moan not that long ago.

"We have to realise that no-one's going to respect us" No, and why tf should they?

"We're going to be everyone's cup final" This is Bristol Rovers, of the Third and Fourth divisions ffs😂😂

He was quite nice about us though
Joey Barton comes with a lot of baggage and I certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near my football club. However, he's still had some success in the past and clearly knows a thing or two about what to do as a manager and I thought that was one of the better post-match interviews I've heard. He's right that for the first 30 or 40 minutes Rovers failed to match not so much our physicality but our intensity; we played the game at pace, gave Rovers no time on the ball, were first to every loose ball and won every 50-50. However, even allowing for that, the Rovers defending was abysmal and I'm not sure you can blame lack of intensity for the missed headers, poor marking or the failure to track City players running off the ball.

Pobbop

Joey Barton comes with a lot of baggage and I certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near my football club. However, he's still had some success in the past and clearly knows a thing or two about what to do as a manager and I thought that was one of the better post-match interviews I've heard. He's right that for the first 30 or 40 minutes Rovers failed to match not so much our physicality but our intensity; we played the game at pace, gave Rovers no time on the ball, were first to every loose ball and won every 50-50. However, even allowing for that, the Rovers defending was abysmal and I'm not sure you can blame lack of intensity for the missed headers, poor marking or the failure to track City players running off the ball.
Well as someone who never cared much for good or bad post-match interviews, in general his teams are shit, he's shit, any team that keeps him on is morally shit. he's just effluence who occasionally can be eloquent, but will always underneath that be a guy who has no respect for fellow humans hence his violence, again and again.

Avening Posse

Fantastic result. Although they may not grab the headlines, I think Dieng and Brown are going to be big players for us this season. Great additions to the squad. Keeper looks good too, Ray definitely looks the part. Amond looks like he's got the brain and the experience as well. I am very pleasantly surprised with the recruitment thus far, and did not even mention Nombe. I reckon Rowe and Coley will turn out to be decent as well. Edwards maybe as well.
I think given the circumstances of location, money blah blah blah we have recruited pretty well. Nice if we keep Key but I'm a bit nervous on that one. Rovers defence was appalling but you can only beat what is in front of you UTC