• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joel Randall (to Peterborough)

Pin this… Brown is decent for this level mate. And Hartridge is a very good CB. Collins is overrated.
I’ll tell you what…I’ll pin the one where you told me Matt Jay was never going be our new captain instead 👍

Grecianpasty

What you’re saying is fine, but there was clearly a good PLAYING budget, seeing as it was specifically mentioned by the guy that is meant to be in charge

It’s a failure of recruitment, not an issue with the model of selling on players… that bit we’re getting right

Scrabbling around looking at that Cheltenham released player… is the sort of thing we were doing when Tisdale over spent and then had to make a team out of cast offs like Danny Coles and the like
To be clear, we're only looking at Clements, which under the sudden circumstances with Collins is completely logical. If there is an option of a short term contract, this could bode well for all parties.

I'd also add that MT mentioned in last night's interview the club are looking for loan signings to replace Collins. Which at this stage of the season looks like the best market to be looking for players. Although would Unfortiantely suggest Collins will be out for months rater than weeks.

StudentGrecian

To be clear, we're only looking at Clements, which under the sudden circumstances with Collins is completely logical. If there is an option of a short term contract, this could bode well for all parties.

I'd also add that MT mentioned in last night's interview the club are looking for loan signings to replace Collins. Which at this stage of the season looks like the best market to be looking for players. Although would Unfortiantely suggest Collins will be out for months rater than weeks.
Last year we plugged the gap of the injured Williams + Randall with the 'meh' Willmott. I don't get why we are looking at doing the same with Archie. Either trust in Harry Kite and give him mins (at 21 he needs to play), or go after someone with the ability to change games. We don't need more squad players to take up the wages imo.

Matt Phillips

Because for years we’ve been pulling in money from selling players, and we’ve hardly spent feck all on recruitment. You’re average Joe supporter probably wants to know why.
Do you mean actual transfer fees, or wages - as the former is proven to not have a direct link to performance, and the latter is very hard to unpick on how much we really are paying. I think the criticism here should be the quality of recruitment, Ajose a prime example.

In terms of where the money's gone, we've always run at a deficit, with sales propping up our budget to remain competitive. We've made improvements (which were needed) into the pitch, and facilities at the ground. The Club repaid the Trust loan last season (maybe less necessary, but something many, myself not included, saw as a positive). Oh, and we've been through a pandemic the past year which will have eaten up cash through lost revenue.

You seem to have a real distrust for the way the Club is run at the minute, so I look forward to seeing your name on the Trust election ballot in October and your plans to improve things (y)

milts

It’s neither and it’s staring you in the face. Matt’s an honest guy we all know that.

The simple fact is, up to now - he and the board and anyone else involved in recruitment haven’t performed to a good enough standard this summer. For whatever reason they have failed thus far to upgrade the side properly.

Looking on Twitter and the rest of socials we’re now starting a season with a lot of negativity from the fans. That’s a massive shame and real missed opportunity. No one is going to take the budget or location thing seriously.

With fans back his job is truly on the line… for everyone’s sake I hope we make some real quality moves soon…
If it’s neither - where’s the money gone? Matt said we’ve got limited money left in the budget when a few months ago it was the biggest in clubs history…
Agree with your comments on recruitment - not good enough thus far.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just shows how thin on the ground our squad actually is in some positions , Collins out and it’s panic stations. If it’s started happening now goodness knows how many walking wounded we’ll have by January. The team doesn’t look particularly settled for the Bradford start now and will probably pick itself using who we’ve got fit.

gilbertshoot

Just shows how thin on the ground our squad actually is in some positions , Collins out and it’s panic stations. If it’s started happening now goodness knows how many walking wounded we’ll have by January. The team doesn’t look particularly settled for the Bradford start now and will probably pick itself using who we’ve got fit.
God, I miss Nicky Law!

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
God, I miss Nicky Law!
Rob Edwards would do for me too.Busy preparing my bring back Jamie Cureton banner…….

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
If it’s neither - where’s the money gone? Matt said we’ve got limited money left in the budget when a few months ago it was the biggest in clubs history…
Agree with your comments on recruitment - not good enough thus far.
Isn't the key word here budget. A budget isn't everything you have available to spend right now is it? A budget is what you're willing to spend right now, being mindful that the available cash you have may have to last longer than right now.

Whilst we think and are hopeful more future player sales may happen, there's no guarantee.

The club have previously stated that any transfer income gets split three ways and only a third of that goes to the playing budget and of that third it is spread over three seasons. So if we accept that the Randall fee is £1.5m then £500k goes towards the playing budget. So, spread over three seasons that's an extra £165k per season. One decent player on £3k a week will earn £156k in a season.

So you can see that whilst these fees are more than welcome, currently, they don't stretch as far as you might suppose.

In future, the way the transfer fees are split could of course change. Massive infrastructure projects like paying for the new away end, paying for a new pitch, paying for the training ground to be redeveloped, are one-offs. Once we've completed these, as a fan you would hope that the budget can begin to grow. I certainly do.

It's then up to our manager to use that budget to recruit well. Right now our budget is probably very good. If MT says he's nearly spent it all then without knowing a) what it was and b) who earns what then we'll have to accept that he has.

The pressure is certainly on MT now to deliver.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking on Twitter and the rest of socials we’re now starting a season with a lot of negativity from the fans. That’s a massive shame and real missed opportunity. No one is going to take the budget or location thing seriously.
Only a very small percentage of City fans are active on social media so a few people complaining doesn’t necessarily mean the whole fan base is feeling negative. There may well even be quite a few fans like myself waiting to see the new signings play competitively before writing them off completely.