• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ACV application for St James Park Withdrawn

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Redwing is there a way that ECC could use land in another councils area such as east Devon?

Is there a way that a deal could be done for all parties involved?

I'm not suggesting that's what should happen im just wondering that's all.
i8, I don’t think it is beyond the bounds of possibility that, because ECC has virtually exhausted all its land resources, that it could be the subject of a boundary extension in the relatively near future. This happened at Plymouth for example when Plympton and Plymstock were incorporated into Plymouth in the late 1960’s. Historically land has always been taken from adjacent rural areas so I can well imagine areas such as Cranbrook being absorbed into Exeter. This would then present additional stadium opportunities.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
In case Rightwing doesn't respond i8 the answer to q1 is not without the agreement of either Teignbridge (if any land were available toward Exminster) or East Devon. I cant see any benefit to either council in doing so frankly even if they were mildly amenable to it happening. I also cant see our fans being complicit in allowing our city centre location and history to be sold down the river for a few sheckles :)
Is the right answer. The question of moving the ground away from SJP is strongly opposed by the Trust membership (various surveys etc) and the Trust has a veto under the Club Trust Agreement.

ExmouthMart

When you have property developers on the Board, people are naturally worried. So is there any way a company or persons could purchase the freehold of the ground from the Council and leave us with no ground or if it was sold would a condition of the sale be a guaranteed alternative site for a football stadium?! Obviously this an extreme scenario but is it a watertight agreement with the Council that St.James Park remains the Home of Exeter City FC and that position can not be undermined.

i8cornwall

In case Rightwing doesn't respond i8 the answer to q1 is not without the agreement of either Teignbridge (if any land were available toward Exminster) or East Devon. I cant see any benefit to either council in doing so frankly even if they were mildly amenable to it happening. I also cant see our fans being complicit in allowing our city centre location and history to be sold down the river for a few sheckles :)
Thanks for the reply and same to Rightwing as well.

I was just wondering, I can't see us moving from SJP anytime soon and think the council hopefully view us as being anchored in the community and worth keeping us in the city centre for a little longer.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
When you have property developers on the Board, people are naturally worried. So is there any way a company or persons could purchase the freehold of the ground from the Council and leave us with no ground or if it was sold would a condition of the sale be a guaranteed alternative site for a football stadium?! Obviously this an extreme scenario but is it a watertight agreement with the Council that St.James Park remains the Home of Exeter City FC and that position can not be undermined.
The Club has a long lease of the ground and Trust now has clear control of votes on the Club Board so that scenario is highly unlikely

older-codger

I don't know whether it has been changed over the years but I was advised by a then prominent member of the Council when they bought it that there was a condition that the land should be retained as a football ground as long as it was being used for professional league football.