• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tonia Bern. Wife of Donald Campbell.

edindevon

John McAfee, computer programmer and founder of the antivirus software, dead in prison in Spain in an apparent suicide as he was awaiting extradition to the US.

Oldsmobile-88

John McAfee, computer programmer and founder of the antivirus software, dead in prison in Spain in an apparent suicide as he was awaiting extradition to the US.
I was reading about that.Tax evasion.The extradition had been granted.McAfee was looking at 30 years if convicted.He was 75.

Oldsmobile-88

Brian London(87) Boxer.Fought against Ali in 1966 for the Heavyweight Title.
He Also fought Floyd Patterson for the title in 1959

DB9

Brian London(87) Boxer.Fought against Ali in 1966 for the Heavyweight Title.
He Also fought Floyd Patterson for the title in 1959
A re-match in heaven with Ali? RIP 🙏

Rosencrantz

From the days when being the British Heavyweight Champion made you a name around the country and being World Heavyweight Champion made you one of the most famous names on the planet.

Also from a time when one American wise cracking boxing journalist said "if you laid out the British heavyweight contenders in a line...I wouldn't be surprised". Cruel but kinda funny.

Oldsmobile-88

RIP to the away goals rule in UEFA Competitions 1965-2021.

Oldsmobile-88

Lyle Huntley(104) last survivor who worked on the infamous Bridge on the River Kwai.
Survived 3 & a half years working on the Burma Railway & Japanese cruelty.

My Great Uncle spent a similar amount of time enduring Japanese ‘hospitality’ in Siam(Thailand) what those poor fellas went through was unbelievably brutal.For Lyle Huntley to reach that age is incredible.

STURTZ

From the days when being the British Heavyweight Champion made you a name around the country and being World Heavyweight Champion made you one of the most famous names on the planet.

Also from a time when one American wise cracking boxing journalist said "if you laid out the British heavyweight contenders in a line...I wouldn't be surprised". Cruel but kinda funny.
Remember a Yank boxing commentator saying that Richard Dunn ( another British contender v Ali) led with his chin! Sorry I digress.

Oldsmobile-88

Remember a Yank boxing commentator saying that Richard Dunn ( another British contender v Ali) led with his chin! Sorry I digress.
Goodness knows how Dunn got a shot at Ali.
Joe Bugner came out of retirement to defeat Dunn in 1976,Saying he was not good enough to be British Champion.He beat him in the 1st round.
Iirc it was on Wednesday Night BBC Sportsnight programme..