• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed. It was nothing short of disgraceful. But looking back to be expected I guess as 80% of MPs from all sides were Remainers.

I hope they've learnt that thwarting the will of the people is a risky game.
2019 did sort that side of it, The "Remain Alliance" withered away to nothing, MP's who started that new party were all voted out and here we are today. One thing that I'm personally hacked off with is Johnson reneging on NI, protocol he wanted and signed up to then it has really let the people of NI down IMHO, A part of the UK where things can get messy.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm curious to know what our more patriotic contributors feel about the government encouraging schools to sing this One Nation, One Britain song?

From my Britain-hating point of view it is at best a little cringeworthy, at worst a little North Korea-y. We also note the irony of singing a song about one Britain, having kicked up such a fuss about Northern Ireland not too long ago.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
2019 did sort that side of it, The "Remain Alliance" withered away to nothing, MP's who started that new party were all voted out and here we are today. One thing that I'm personally hacked off with is Johnson reneging on NI, protocol he wanted and signed up to then it has really let the people of NI down IMHO, A part of the UK where things can get messy.
The Irish border was always and will remain the biggest problem with the whole thing. Taking control of our borders was never going to be compatible with having one border completely open. More fool the DUP (and others) for not realising this.

Rosencrantz

Yes, she'll be demanding that their games be re-run.

<Don't Come Home Tooooo Sooooooooon!>
"Oh, you already are home aren't you, never mind" 😉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Alistair20000

Yes, she'll be demanding that their games be re-run.

<Don't Come Home Tooooo Sooooooooon!>
Offer Krankie a re-run with the games to be played in Manchester.

tavyred

One thing that didn't help was between 2016-19, Parliament showed themselves as they knew better and a vote by Joe Public which Parliament disagreed on, They didn't like it one bit.
It was worse than that in my view, it was perfectly within that parliament’s remit to declare the referendum advisory and overturn the decision made, they didn’t because that sort of honesty would’ve resulted in many of them losing their seats, they instead chose to put the people of this country through 2-3 years of constitutional chaos and parliamentary inertia that has led IMO to a political schism that may never be healed in my lifetime.
There should be a special place reserved in hell for a lot of the 2017 rotten parliament.

Mr Jinx

It was worse than that in my view, it was perfectly within that parliament’s remit to declare the referendum advisory and overturn the decision made, they didn’t because that sort of honesty would’ve resulted in many of them losing their seats, they instead chose to put the people of this country through 2-3 years of constitutional chaos and parliamentary inertia that has led IMO to a political schism that may never be healed in my lifetime.
There should be a special place reserved in hell for a lot of the 2017 rotten parliament.
Yes indeed.

It's also interesting to note that with regards to that rotten bunch, most of the Tory variety have been ousted and killed off from a political standpoint. Labour's lot, on the other hand, are mostly all still in situ, hanging around like a bad smell. I'm thinking Cooper, Benn, Thornberry, et al, not to mention UberRemainer-in-chief, Kier Starmer. And not content with that, Labour have also welcomed the toad Bercow into their fold with open arms.

And Labour wonder why they're close to becoming extinct.

Alistair20000

As the government had promised to give effect to the Referendum outcome it was politically very difficult to overturn the result. Yes a referendum is legally only advisory under our Constitution but Joe Public is not really interested in dry legal principles. We had been told in the clearest terms that the result would be respected and given effect.

The 2017/2019 Parliament was indeed rotten presided over by a biased Speaker, the worst in living memory and with traitors who changed parties without submitting themselves to a by election. Compare that with Carswell and Reckless those evil defectors to UKIP who did resign and fought by elections to legitimise their positions. Others plotted to frustrate the Referendum result despite Big John telling us it is ridiculous to speak of plotting. Very dismal times and corrosive to public trust.

Thankfully a lot of the worst culprits, mainly Tories or former Tories, were given the order of the boot by the electorate although sadly others survive. Yes Sir Keith I am looking at you and the likes of Lady Nugee, Hilary Benn and Yvette Cooper.

elginCity

It's full of reserve signs down there. The 'back of fag packet' Brexit architects, the very clowns you've supported throughout have the most special place reserved. Keep the faith, Tav, nows not the time to go wobbly, is the 'technological solution' viable yet ?

Alistair20000

Where will all the Project Fear merchants go Elgy ?