• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goodbye Randell Williams

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
confirmation from Hull that it was ECFC who turned down a 'big fee' that Hull offered. And that it is a 'coup' for them to get him on a free

Wonder how big ‘big’ was?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not as big as what Peterborough offered or our valuation

tonykellowfan

Funny how so many of our fans don't rate him.

Good luck to him, definitely one of our best players.

jimbo-gould

That's one way of looking at it but to me too long a period of time is involved, but the real winner is Randy, got another year of income from us get's two years (+1 if he performs), and a signing on fee, from Hull, higher league = higher pay, plus will get another signing on fee when he doesn't perform in the championship and is moved on to a league one team in the future with another two year contract with an option, so the guy is sorted for the next three or four years, cost of living cheaper oop north as well.

Hope he has as good a financial advisor as he has agent to invest the singing on fees
You say this as if staying an extra year with us was in his financial interests. I’d bet the contract Peterborough offered was considerably higher than what he’s on here.

jrg333

League One talent with a Conference attitude and work rate. I'd say League Two was the right level for Randell. Will be extremely surprised if he has what it takes to play regularly in the Championship. If, despite his failed transfers, he'd kept his head down and worked hard last season, I might be more optimistic for him but let's face it, he gave up playing for us. You can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get yourself motivated to play one match a week, you'll have a pretty low ceiling as a professional.

His abysmal level of commitment last season revealed how much he cares about Exeter City. And for the same reason, I don't care how his career progresses (or otherwise) from here.

Rosencrantz

For me it's not about rating him or not, just that he is frustrating to watch for long periods because he does have the talent but I question the application.

You knew that if a defender looked like exerting some physical pressure, then 9 times out of ten, Randell would lose the ball tamely, sometimes without a challenge. His movement was poor or just non existent for long periods of a game. And the frustrating part was at times he would show that he was capable of some physicality and good movement (Argyle!). But he did not seem to improve on the consistency of improving these weaknesses which looks more what's in his head than in his feet is a problem.

If Hull can get the mental side of his game right, they have a good player who can win them games. If not, he will be back at this level. I hope Randell knuckles down and doesn't let his career slip by without reaching his potential.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
You say this as if staying an extra year with us was in his financial interests. I’d bet the contract Peterborough offered was considerably higher than what he’s on here.
You're probably right but he rejected it and had another season with us and now moving on to the other interested club last season

IndoMike

Maybe they still think we're little 'ol Exeter and will accept anything, rather than a financially successful club at Div 2 level.

Colesman Ballz

League One talent with a Conference attitude and work rate. I'd say League Two was the right level for Randell. Will be extremely surprised if he has what it takes to play regularly in the Championship. If, despite his failed transfers, he'd kept his head down and worked hard last season, I might be more optimistic for him but let's face it, he gave up playing for us. You can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get yourself motivated to play one match a week, you'll have a pretty low ceiling as a professional.

His abysmal level of commitment last season revealed how much he cares about Exeter City. And for the same reason, I don't care how his career progresses (or otherwise) from here.
So exactly what is it that you don't understand about stress fractures ? :unsure:

tonykellowfan

Rumour is £500k was the offer last summer from Hull.