• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Latest Club News..

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Understanding how Lincoln massively increased attendances, would be a good place to start. They have had success and a few great cup runs, but what else have they done?
They obviously engaged with Lincoln as a City, Getting relegated to the NL whatever their focus or plan was worked, They already had a decent size fan base. We went down and had lost any trust or goodwill due to years of mismanagement by the club. I'm not really into buzzwords like V10 or this project 6000, My view is if we get success on the pitch the rest will follow but only if those in charge have the will and courage to succeed. 6k fans in, Boy that will be tough!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Perhaps the project is to get a consistent 6k in SJP? If so the only way to do that is get promoted, Stay there and build on that, It would be a mammoth task mind, I don't think we've ever averaged that.
We have, although the most recent was the 1964/65 season in the old Division 3 (League 1 as it is now) - 6,460

Before that 1959/60 - 7,421
1958/59 - 9,374

And before that, in the old Division 3 (South), between the 1920/21 season and the 1957/58 season, there were just 5 seasons when we dropped below an average of 6,000.

Our best ever was the 1952/53 season, with an average of 10,339! We achieved over 10,000 in two other seasons during that period.

Things were very different back then of course.......

However, we almost made it in the 2009/10 season, newly promoted to League 1, when we averaged 5,832, so it isn't impossible - given consistency in League 1.

DB9

We have, although the most recent was the 1964/65 season in the old Division 3 (League 1 as it is now) - 6,460

Before that 1959/60 - 7,421
1958/59 - 9,374

And before that, in the old Division 3 (South), between the 1920/21 season and the 1957/58 season, there were just 5 seasons when we dropped below an average of 6,000.

Our best ever was the 1952/53 season, with an average of 10,339! We achieved over 10,000 in two other seasons during that period.

Things were very different back then of course.......

However, we almost made it in the 2009/10 season, newly promoted to League 1, when we averaged 5,832, so it isn't impossible - given consistency in League 1.
Like you say Pete, All in the past, As for our last foray into L1 I would think that number you quoted was because of the opposition in L1 back then, Some big teams that brought down a lot of support like Leeds, Sheff Weds etc.

Rosencrantz

Also when the team played better the following season, the average attendance came down so it isn't all to do with performance. Leeds and the Huddersfield game probably made a big difference the season before along with the newness.

Project 6000 will have to be a bit more creative than just play well and win more than losing.

Oldsmobile-88

With the social distancing not being relaxed from 21st June & initially extended until 19th July,There must be a worry for clubs about restricted attendances if there is another extension going into August.
With the Cabinet listening to very cautious medical science & being caught in the headlights of graphs* that is not a unlikely scenario whatever BJ says now.
(We’ve heard it all before !)

More like project 2000 to start with if that’s the case.

*The graph scale used today for admissions was ridiculous.It was just to exaggerate the case.

IndoMike

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think that the cost to the club of bringing in yet another bod on the PR and Marketing side will end up costing us more than any return on it.
The only way we could average 6000 is if we had a highly successful team and/or reduced ticket prices. You can't drag people into the stadium if they're not interested.
Let's get back to basics focus on and invest money on the team and the academy : that's the way to bring more fans in. But as Rosencrantz stated above, even when we had an entertaining team in the new Div 1 and some success we couldn't average 6k
By the way I'm not being negative : just realistic. The academy is the key, the profits from which will far, far outweigh any revenue that "Project 6000" 🙄🙄🙄 will produce. Load of old balone.

nick_exmouth

I attended the virtual Trust meeting last week and it was explained that the ambition is to have 6000 fans through the gate OR the equivalent amount of revenue through the tills on a matchday. This number by and large represents the budget for sustainable L1 football and is what the new Commercial head will be focusing on. There were also 2 Non Exec Directors voted onto Board for 12 months with a wide and successful business backgrounds to help achieve this

I highly recommend going on the Trust Zoom meetings, they were very informative and welcoming

nick_exmouth

With the social distancing not being relaxed from 21st June & initially extended until 19th July,There must be a worry for clubs about restricted attendances if there is another extension going into August.
With the Cabinet listening to very cautious medical science & being caught in the headlights of graphs* that is not a unlikely scenario whatever BJ says now.
(We’ve heard it all before !)

More like project 2000 to start with if that’s the case.

*The graph scale used today for admissions was ridiculous.It was just to exaggerate the case.
That graph was a joke, would feel embarrassed presenting something like that at work

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sorry, but I can't help but think that the cost to the club of bringing in yet another bod on the PR and Marketing side will end up costing us more than any return on it.
The only way we could average 6000 is if we had a highly successful team and/or reduced ticket prices. You can't drag people into the stadium if they're not interested.
Let's get back to basics focus on and invest money on the team and the academy : that's the way to bring more fans in. But as Rosencrantz stated above, even when we had an entertaining team in the new Div 1 and some success we couldn't average 6k
By the way I'm not being negative : just realistic. The academy is the key, the profits from which will far, far outweigh any revenue that "Project 6000" 🙄🙄🙄 will produce. Load of old balone.
The academy is undoubtedly important but the problem is that any profit from selling on players will always be unreliable and unpredictable which makes budgeting tricky. Therefore, any attempts by the club to increase their regular income and reduce the reliance on windfalls makes a lot of sense. However, it's always worth remembering that very few of our competitors rely solely on income they have generated for their playing budgets.

IndoMike

The academy is undoubtedly important but the problem is that any profit from selling on players will always be unreliable and unpredictable which makes budgeting tricky. Therefore, any attempts by the club to increase their regular income and reduce the reliance on windfalls makes a lot of sense. However, it's always worth remembering that very few of our competitors rely solely on income they have generated for their playing budgets.
Yes, our competitors rely on sugar daddies to save them : they too have limits on their income from attendance and marketing. They would go broke if not for those sugar daddies : marketing and PR wouldn't save them and they don't have such a great academy as we do. We too would have gone broke without the sales of players like Ollie et al
I realise that relying on selling players will come unstuck sooner or later - my guess is probably later.
But the fact remains that we have had PR and marketing at City for many years and I assume they have done their utmost to find business. They do find business, but there are limits to what City can achieve with that : it's not "the sea is my ocean".
We haven't averaged 6000 for a very long time : what makes you think somebody can come along suddenly and achieve that? Only big success on the field or big reductions in ticket pricing can approach anywhere near that number, not constantly adding to the PR and marketing side.
We've got as many directors as Shell Global. I think we're getting too top heavy in favour of our non-playing side of the club, to be honest.