• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you Pierce Sweeney!!! (To Swindon Town and now Exeter)

jrg333

but being the life and sole of the Xmas party shouldn't earn you a contract.
Probably started angling for a move while the club dragged their feet over a new deal.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Haven’t seen it mentioned but am I right in thinking he was given a 3 year contract by Tisdale just before he left. If that’s true it was presumably on pretty good money.
You are correct that Sweeney along with Tilson were both given 3 yr contracts in Tis' last year with the club. MT wasn't overly impressed to inherit that. Sweeney was on a decent contract and was offered reduced terms (which to be fair lots of clubs are doing) by MT this summer and I believe it was only a 1 yr deal as well.

Page has been offered a good contract (2 years I think) but part of it is based on appearances which I believe is part of the stumbling block at the moment.

Smithyno6

Walsall sign Connor Wilkinson

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are correct that Sweeney along with Tilson were both given 3 yr contracts in Tis' last year with the club. MT wasn't overly impressed to inherit that. Sweeney was on a decent contract and was offered reduced terms (which to be fair lots of clubs are doing) by MT this summer and I believe it was only a 1 yr deal as well.

Page has been offered a good contract (2 years I think) but part of it is based on appearances which I believe is part of the stumbling block at the moment.
I wonder if Matt Taylor is secretly quite relieved Pierce has decided to move on. Pierce's improved form, especially in the second half of the season, would have made it quite awkward not to offer him a contract. However, he'd already signed a replacement for him and with two youngsters pushing for a place in the first team the money can probably be better spent elsewhere.

JCWhoosh

I wonder if Matt Taylor is secretly quite relieved Pierce has decided to move on. Pierce's improved form, especially in the second half of the season, would have made it quite awkward not to offer him a contract. However, he'd already signed a replacement for him and with two youngsters pushing for a place in the first team the money can probably be better spent elsewhere.
Hit the nail on the head!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Action clip of Sweeney put together by Swindon

Red Bill

Action clip of Sweeney put together by Swindon

Just shows what you can do with a showreel!

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Always think that the turning point in the POF v Blackpool, when we had are best team in recent history, was when Troy Brown went off injured to be replaced by Sweeners. Since then have always thought that as long as we relied on players such as him, we would remain L2.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just shows what you can do with a showreel!
But it does highlight that he is a better player than some on here give him credit for because what you saw there was a few incidences of many. The trouble is, the one howler will outweigh the many in some minds but I bet he was involved, one way or another, with more goals there in those clips than he made howlers (and I'm talking proper howlers not just mistakes that everyone makes) in his entire City career.

ExmouthMart

Bit of a strange signing for Swindon, seeing as they are quite a ’big’ Club in League Two. Sweeney has his moments but can also look very average. They blow hot and cold with their finances Swindon, so maybe they have cut their budget and outlook accordingly or they think he’s a decent player who in the right environment and with different coaching can be a more consistent player that he didn’t always appear to be at Exeter.