• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

budegrecian

The legendary Frank Worthington bagging a brace at Plainmoor.
I doubt the top flight players these days will be scratching around in the 4th tier at the end of their careers.
What a player he was.Saw him a few times over his illustrious career.
Recently passed away with Alzheimer’s 🙁
And he was indeed a genuine legend. Amazing that only 1100 turned up to see him.
It's a shame that top flight players no longer drop down the leagues. I appreciate that they no longer need to for financial reasons anymore, but you might have thought that the love of the game would be sufficient for many of them to continue.

There were some fantastic obituary stories about Frank; there is no way that modern day footballers could ever hope to replicate his magical antics either on or off the pitch. I believe his autobiography was titled: one bonk or two.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The football tour tee’s
The first one produced for the Grecians was the idea of Steve Darke iirc for the regular misfits who traveled (me included !) on the Dartline supporters coach in 1988-89.Darkie arranged the coach or minibus travel in those days.
A few memories from those games printed.
Pics are from ‘Saxon’ who’s tee still looks in good condition.
I doubt it fits him these days,as indeed mine would not if I still had one 😁
AA06256C-056C-48DC-8BBD-DCFD5C4CF05B.jpeg6CEE668E-E7BF-4D8C-80CA-E200B6341687.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

A tour Polo Shirt from 2003/04.

It was of nice quality.Had mine for a few years.
This one is from our resident weatherman & Jazz DJ, Dr Dave.
18A6BCE6-9A83-464E-BBF3-FC93D1A6AFF2.jpeg

Tim Long

The football tour tee’s
The first one produced for the Grecians was the idea of Steve Darke iirc for the regular misfits who traveled (me included !) on the Dartline supporters coach in 1988-89.Darkie arranged the coach or minibus travel in those days.
A few memories from those games printed.
Pics are from ‘Saxon’ who’s tee still looks in good condition.
I doubt it fits him these days,as indeed mine would not if I still had one 😁
View attachment 6225View attachment 6226
Disappointed it's not as folded originally so the bottom line read "ride of devo"

Oldsmobile-88

Disappointed it's not as folded originally so the bottom line read "ride of devo"
Are we not men ? We are Devo 😁

eurogrecian

Pre-season tour of Finland, July 2002!

Attachments

Tim Long

Pre-season tour of Finland, July 2002!
The 'castle and ball' logo; a Seventies classic up there with non-League programmes 'sideburn Bob' who still makes occasional appearances.

Colesman Ballz

The 'castle and ball' logo; a Seventies classic up there with non-League programmes 'sideburn Bob' who still makes occasional appearances.
View attachment 6242
"CASTLE and ball " logo ??? ! In days gone by you would have been burnt at the stake as a HERETIC ! It's the bleddy CATHEDRAL ! :love:

Tim Long

"CASTLE and ball " logo ??? ! In days gone by you would have been burnt at the stake as a HERETIC ! It's the bleddy CATHEDRAL ! :love:
Good point, well made ! I don't think even in the Prayer Book Rebellion anyone was burnt at the stake in Exeter. The vicar of St Thomas was hanged from his own church tower. And I believe a mayor of Exeter was one hanged whilst still in office.

Last edited:

Tim Long

Good point, well made ! I don't think even in the Prayer Book Rebellion anyone was burnt at the stake in Exeter. The vicar of St Thomas was hanged from his own church tower. And I believe a mayor of Exeter was one hanged whilst still in office.
Perhaps the pyre could be constructed from these... arranged to look like a rough approximation of Exeter Cathedral
View attachment 6243