• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
We got a % of the loan fee at RB Leipzig which was a significant amount; and will presumably do again this season, it'd be interested to know how much.
Wasn't the loan fee at Sheffield on a sliding scale in that the more games he played, the less they paid ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't the loan fee at Sheffield on a sliding scale in that the more games he played, the less they paid ?
Dunno. I read that was the case with Tomori but can't find anything to confirm re Ampadu

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the saying goes “bird in the hand etc” but for me I would sooner see him loaned to the likes of Totenham still money for us.

Then on the back of a good Euros and performing well for Spurs, when Chelsea do decide to sell, his value in the transfer market could well be close to the sum payed by Villa for Ollie.
We'd all love Ethan to make a huge move in a few seasons time that would bank us a huge sell-on fee. However, the way that Ethan's career is panning out that this is the best time for him to move. I can't see him playing much for Chelsea and a 3rd year on loan will surely not do him much good either. Maybe, I'm completely wrong but from our perspective I worry that if he stays at Chelsea the size of any future transfer fee is likely to go down not up.

manc grecian

We'd all love Ethan to make a huge move in a few seasons time that would bank us a huge sell-on fee. However, the way that Ethan's career is panning out that this is the best time for him to move. I can't see him playing much for Chelsea and a 3rd year on loan will surely not do him much good either. Maybe, I'm completely wrong but from our perspective I worry that if he stays at Chelsea the size of any future transfer fee is likely to go down not up.
Yep. He needs a permanent move to somewhere he is valued. Good Euros will help him and us. All that's happening at the moment is going to be numerous loan deals before he's eventually released for nothing

IndoMike

the possibilities this season (and what we get as a result!) are

stays at Chelsea and plays - we get 1.25m if he plays 43 times in competitive games for Chelsea's first team (250k per ten games up to 50 appearances - of which he has made seven since the tribunal decision). Three appearances get us the first 250k.

is sold - we get 20% of the transfer fee

is loaned out - we get 20% of the loan fee. The loan fee could be £1m+.

stays at Chelsea and doesn't play - we get nothing.

Definitely one that many of us will be watching keenly!
Andrew : I think we get 20% of the transfer fee minus any payments already made to us, or am I (quite possibly) mistaken?

Colesman Ballz

Andrew : I think we get 20% of the transfer fee minus any payments already made to us, or am I (quite possibly) mistaken?
You may be right Indo.

andrew p long

Yes that's right, but we now get 20% of any future sums because Chelsea have already received more in loan fees than the £1.3m we had for the initial transfer fee. (Taggy was the source for saying that we were getting a slice of Ethan loan fees because Chelsea had trousered more than 1.3m)

So using Banksy's example of a £10m sale we get £2m not £1.6m. (Say its £1.5m that Chelsea have already received in loan fees plus £10m sale means a total of £11.5m then the extra due to us is 20% x 11.5m-1.3m - so always at least 20% of the extra 10m).

In response to CB's point re the sliding scale of the loan fee (more if Ethan doesn't play!) that was certainly the case with the RB Leipzig loan (source - again Taggy). That was why the amount received was much higher than the paltry 500k loan fee first reported. However, I haven't seen anything about whether there is a similar structure for the Sheff Utd loan.

I'm quite optimistic about Ethan's future and the prospect of future payouts. Tuchel likes a back three and one of his current first choice centre backs is 36. Ethan has played his club games this season across a back three. Tuchel will surely want a good look in pre season and leading up to the transfer deadline. There is also the shop window known as the Euros. Having said that my guess (only a guess!) is that Tuchel will neither want to sell or play him much this season, so that another Premiership loan will result. But they can be lucrative - reputedly Barkley's loan fee paid by Villa to Chelsea this season was £5m.

jrg333

Yep. He needs a permanent move to somewhere he is valued. Good Euros will help him and us. All that's happening at the moment is going to be numerous loan deals before he's eventually released for nothing
He's 20 years old with 25 premiership appearances this season and 22 international caps. The idea that he's close to being 'released for nothing' is ridiculous IMO. He's 4 years away from reaching Bosman ruling age anyway!

IndoMike

Yes that's right, but we now get 20% of any future sums because Chelsea have already received more in loan fees than the £1.3m we had for the initial transfer fee. (Taggy was the source for saying that we were getting a slice of Ethan loan fees because Chelsea had trousered more than 1.3m)

So using Banksy's example of a £10m sale we get £2m not £1.6m. (Say its £1.5m that Chelsea have already received in loan fees plus £10m sale means a total of £11.5m then the extra due to us is 20% x 11.5m-1.3m - so always at least 20% of the extra 10m).

In response to CB's point re the sliding scale of the loan fee (more if Ethan doesn't play!) that was certainly the case with the RB Leipzig loan (source - again Taggy). That was why the amount received was much higher than the paltry 500k loan fee first reported. However, I haven't seen anything about whether there is a similar structure for the Sheff Utd loan.

I'm quite optimistic about Ethan's future and the prospect of future payouts. Tuchel likes a back three and one of his current first choice centre backs is 36. Ethan has played his club games this season across a back three. Tuchel will surely want a good look in pre season and leading up to the transfer deadline. There is also the shop window known as the Euros. Having said that my guess (only a guess!) is that Tuchel will neither want to sell or play him much this season, so that another Premiership loan will result. But they can be lucrative - reputedly Barkley's loan fee paid by Villa to Chelsea this season was £5m.
OK. I read it differently but I wasn't sure so I'll go with your interpretation (and it's more 👍).

manc grecian

He's 20 years old with 25 premiership appearances this season and 22 international caps. The idea that he's close to being 'released for nothing' is ridiculous IMO. He's 4 years away from reaching Bosman ruling age anyway!
The bosman rule only applies if Chelsea were to offer him a new deal. Plus he's nearly 3 years into a 5yr deal.