• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2020/21

DawlishBouy

The under 18 squad as shown on the clubs website. Who has been released and who is staying? Thought Michael Lilley was highly regarded. Is he gone or got another season at under 18?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The under 18 squad as shown on the clubs website. Who has been released and who is staying? Thought Michael Lilley was highly regarded. Is he gone or got another season at under 18?
I think Lilley has another year although I would have liked him to be offered a contract similar to Pond as he is the other player to really catch my eye.

By my (unreliable) reckoning, I think Max Clark, Alex Moyse and Harry Ford will have been released as they were second years. I am not sure how old Toby Neville is as he came from Southampton at the start of the season.

I would like to know who the new scholars stepping up from the u16's are, apart from Harry Lee and Sonny Cox of course, hoping against hope they sign. We can probably have a good guess from the u18 sides towards the end of the season but it would be nice to know them all.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

andrew p long

Ten (!) scholarships offered to the U16s, who were successful in the national final.

Great that we have been able to offer that many - such a shame for those who won the final but who don't get kept on (some of whom have got offers elsewhere now).

No names, presumably because the battle is still on to try to keep Sonny Cox and Harry Lee.

Maxi08

Ten (!) scholarships offered to the U16s, who were successful in the national final.

Great that we have been able to offer that many - such a shame for those who won the final but who don't get kept on (some of whom have got offers elsewhere now).

No names, presumably because the battle is still on to try to keep Sonny Cox and Harry Lee.
I have heard from a ‘friend of a friend’ that Harry Lee is close to agreeing a pro contract with Exeter despite numerous premier league clubs wanting him 🤔

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

I have heard from a ‘friend of a friend’ that Harry Lee is close to agreeing a pro contract with Exeter despite numerous premier league clubs wanting him 🤔
Having no inside knowledge and just going on Matt's interviews, it seems he has been more vocal about Harry than Sonny. In an ideal world that might be because Sonny needed less talking around to sign for us but more probably that keeping Sonny is a longshot and minds have been made up whilst Harry and his family might have been showing signs of staying.

It would be great to see both of them in the squad next season.

andrew p long

Interesting. And fingers well crossed. There certainly have been indications that City are working hard to try to get Lee to stay.

In his talk to the Senior Reds IIRC Kevin Nicholson drew the distinction between very talented 16 year olds who played respectively in goal and outfield. He said in effect that outfield players benefitted from playing with better players but not for goalkeepers who most benefitted from playing games. Since then MT has said similar things about young keepers and highlighted Jokull's plight a year ago at Reading - 3/4th choice keeper unable to get a loan deal even in the lower reaches of the National League.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

DB9

budegrecian

Is that Alfie Pond?