• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another proud day for the academy

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought it would be good to capture in one place achievements as they happenof the Academy and the players it has produced. On so many days there is a story of success. Even without ECFC playing here is the last four days...

Tuesday - Ollie Watkins called up in England's provisional squad for the Euros

Monday - Ben Chrisene scores in (and wins) the FA Youth Cup for Aston Villa -v- Liverpool.

Monday - Ethan Ampadu in Wales squad for the Euros.

Sunday - Ollie Watkins completes 90 minutes in the Premiership for the 37th time (out of 38 games). The highest number of game in a top flight season since.(?)

Saturday - Matt Grimes curls in a great shot to send Swansea to Wembley for the Championship play off; just one game from the Premiership.

Saturday - Jay Stansfield plays all 90 minutes in the Premier League U18 final. They lose 3-1 to Man City

Last edited:

CWH-NYC_

👍👍👍 it is impressive and fun to follow.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tuesday - Chris Shepherd extends his contract with Tiverton Town.

SaintJames

Tuesday - Chris Shepherd extends his contract with Tiverton Town.
somehow I'm not sure that news is quite in the same league :)

andrew p long

next up - the tally of appearances in League football for season 2020-21. There are some official tables (based on appearances by academy graduates) that in 19-20 showed City's academy as number 1 for Category 3 academies and 14th in the country as a whole (as mentioned by Kevin Nicholson in his Senior Reds talk).

My recollection is that five/six or so years ago City's ranking was about 50th in the country based on appearances. We were then proud of our academy products but Grimes wasn't playing for Swansea, Seaborne had packed in etc. so it was only Moxey and Friend playing above League Two level

My calculation is that last season 23 academy graduates started league games for clubs in England's 92 (top 80 actually as all the League Two appearances were for clubs in the top half of League Two).

In 20-21 there were 60 Premiership starts, 96 Championship starts, 57 League One starts and a whopping 382 League Two starts. Plus more than a hundred sub appearances. I reckon this will push City into the top ten.
Workings to follow in another post!

iscalad

Kevin said that we are 10th in the country

Boyo

Kevin said that we are 10th in the country
Would love to see the data behind that claim and understand how the positioning is calculated.

iscalad

Would love to see the data behind that claim and understand how the positioning is calculated.
Kevin is head of the Academy. No reason to doubt him

Boyo

Kevin is head of the Academy. No reason to doubt him
I'm not doubting him, but I'm interested in understanding the context and meaning. Andrew refers to the previous ranking which is easily available via Google, which positions clubs based on league appearances in the league, with more points awarded to appearances in the higher divisions. I'm curious to know whether the 10th place Kevin refers to is based on the same algorithm, or something completely different.

iscalad

I'm not doubting him, but I'm interested in understanding the context and meaning. Andrew refers to the previous ranking which is easily available via Google, which positions clubs based on league appearances in the league, with more points awarded to appearances in the higher divisions. I'm curious to know whether the 10th place Kevin refers to is based on the same algorithm, or something completely different.
Probably the same. The move up the table is a lot due to Ollie and Ethan playing in the PL. You get points for that.