• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

ExmouthMart

Yes. Why should we aim for mid-table mediocrity?
Isn’t the bottom line survival and everything else a bonus?! Realistically can you see us climbing the Leagues. We don’t have the financial clout to be anything other than what we are now.

JamieEcfc

You aim higher, but to EXPECT play offs with a number of players you've never seen play a full season is farfetched to me.

I however, was pleasantly surprised with how well we were doing and stand by my statement that had Randall and Williams stayed fit we would have made the play offs and potentially looking at the autos.

I didn't anticipate us to be as competitive as we were, an exciting to position to build on next season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stubbs has two seasons of employment guaranteed. He was being shown the door at Fleetwood. It’s a gamble for both parties but he gets the comfort of a long deal and hopefully at some stage we get a decent defender.
Stubbs only signed for Fleetwood in the summer. Admittedly, they may have decided he was surplus to requirements but, as I recall, he'd signed on a two or three-year contract so if he'd decided he wanted to stay there's not a great deal Fleetwood could have done about it.

ExmouthMart

Stubbs only signed for Fleetwood in the summer. Admittedly, they may have decided he was surplus to requirements but, as I recall, he'd signed on a two or three-year contract so if he'd decided he wanted to stay there's not a great deal Fleetwood could have done about it.
Two year deal in September 2020. Must have decided pretty quickly……

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You aim higher, but to EXPECT play offs with a number of players you've never seen play a full season is farfetched to me.

I however, was pleasantly surprised with how well we were doing and stand by my statement that had Randall and Williams stayed fit we would have made the play offs and potentially looking at the autos.

I didn't anticipate us to be as competitive as we were, an exciting to position to build on next season.
I didn't anticipate serious injuries at the start of the season. A top seven finish was in our grasp.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Isn’t the bottom line survival and everything else a bonus?! Realistically can you see us climbing the Leagues. We don’t have the financial clout to be anything other than what we are now.
Not really, we've got use to finishing well up the table in L2.

ExmouthMart

Not really, we've got use to finishing well up the table in L2.
Hopefully that will continue as long we can continue to unearth young academy players to sell on and finance everything and sign The Black Knight for goalkeeper we will be alright.

Boyo

I was expecting a top seven finish this season. I thought we were in a better place than many other L2 teams. We'd gotten to Wembley the previous season, and it looked like we'd improved the squad. Far too many fans seem to be happy with L2 football.
We cut the wage bill by £700k last summer. Lots of other teams didn't and hence our playing budget was modest compared to many.

Boyo

Taylor and the players were trying to finish as high in the table as possible. Indeed we were 45 minutes from reaching the playoffs. The club made a decision last summer to keep our powder dry (prepare for the worst-case through a pandemic), knowing that some other clubs wouldn't cut their budgets in a similar fashion. despite that, we were largely competitive last season. That prudence has now given us a platform to be really ambitious over the next few seasons. I'm very happy with that.

Bittners a Legend

Far too many fans seem to be happy with L2 football.
This attitude is offensive and dull. I doubt there are any fans that are "happy" any time we don't win a game or any season we don't gain promotion. Not having a tantrum every time things don't go our way doesn't make you happy. I recognise the difficulties of this season and the opportunities we'll have next season as a result of the decisions made this time around.