• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plaid Cymru don't want independence do they? Not sure what the point of them is. Drakeford seems to be popular unlike Starmer who has made zero impact.
It is a really difficult one with Starmer because in real terms he is probably the most genuine leader of a party this country has had in years. Miles ahead in the morale stakes than Johnson, May, Cameron and Blair and he has a history of doing good things in his past life so the press cannot slaughter him like they did with Corbyn for example, as their is not much to actually slaughter him with as he has a good history of work within Law etc.

But something with him doesn't cut through to the people and this has to be addressed somehow as this country cannot afford to have a Tory government beyond 2025.

It might be rather than wrong person more wrong time.

But i believe Johnson will fall from grace before 2025 because if there is one thing we know about Tories, its worry about whats going on behind you rather than in front of you.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
So good news for Labour in Wales, Does Starmer need to look at Welsh Labour to see what they're doing right? Plus the Welsh Nationalists are not as popular as the Scots Nats are in Scotland, Does this help Labour?
I think as Elgy mentioned,probably down to Drakeford being central to the Covid response in Wales.

There is certainly more Nationalism & flag waving in Scotland compared to Wales.

DB9

But i believe Johnson will fall from grace before 2025 because if there is one thing we know about Tories, its worry about whats going on behind you rather than in front of you.
It would have to be something really big, As these elections and the Polls show, The public don't seem to care, He's very teflon at the moment. You can spout out all about low turnouts etc but Johnson at the moment can virtually do as he likes and because the opposition is so weak he can exploit this.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would have to be something really big, As these elections and the Polls show, The public don't seem to care, He's very teflon at the moment. You can spout out all about low turnouts etc but Johnson at the moment can virtually do as he likes and because the opposition is so weak he can exploit this.
Suppose we will just have to watch this space n wait and see.

DB9

Suppose we will just have to watch this space n wait and see.
Indeed, because if Johnson stays as teflon man, For any chance, Labour need to have a very hard long look at themselves, Talk to people all over the UK instead of preaching to them from London, Stop telling people they're all "Victims" and saying "We know what you want" in the patronising way they have been for the last decade, encourage self reliance, Appeal to the self employed, Middle income earners, Talk up the UK as a whole.

Oldsmobile-88

Tony Blair.Loved or loathed in Labour circles in equal measure,dismissed the nonsense about the flat decoration & Dyson phone calls.Saying any PM would have done the latter.
Mentioned that the majority of the general public would not be that bothered.
It was only of real interest in SW 1 & the political media circus.

Starmer would be well advised to listen to a Labour politician who has actually won a GE( 3 of them)

tavyred

I think it was Mandelson who said yesterday that Labour’s issues do not begin and end with who ever is their leader. The Labour movement has nothing to say to those it needs to vote for them again, pointing at Boris and saying he’s awful or waiting for Brexit to be a disaster is simply not good enough. I know I quote him a lot but Matthew Goodwin had it right in a tweet of his I read yesterday, he said politics in England is not defined by left and right or class now, it’s defined by values and culture. Too many are looking at the values and culture of the Labour Party and it’s people and making a negative judgment.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

On the subject of Scotland(a place I love as if you didn’t already know)
Let the SNP have their Indy2 ref on the proviso that if they lose there will not be another one for 40 years.
If Scots decide to turn their backs on a largely successful & prosperous union in the past couple of hundred years,that’s up to them.Let them get on with it.
Good luck with re joining the EU,hard border and all, plus dealing with their share of the national Debt.
The SNP are confident they can deal with all that.
They will not be able to blame Westminster if it all goes ‘tits up’ There will be no hiding place if it does.

I don’t think anyone wants years of friction about referendums,we have all had enough of that.
One mistake in there. Assuming it all goes wrong the miserable kilted ones will still blame the English for it.

DB9

Tony Blair.Loved or loathed in Labour circles in equal measure,dismissed the nonsense about the flat decoration & Dyson phone calls.Saying any PM would have done the latter.
Mentioned that the majority of the general public would not be that bothered.
It was only of real interest in SW 1 & the political media circus.

Starmer would be well advised to listen to a Labour politician who has actually won a GE( 3 of them)
Yep love or loathe him, Blair delivered what no other Labour leader did, 3 GE wins and with good majorities. I have always said Labour's problem started when they voted in the wrong Milliband, It should of been David instead of Ed, Word around at that time was Cameron breathed a huge sigh of relief when Ed Milliband was voted in, I honestly believe if David Milliband was leader, The 2015 GE would have ended very differently.

Oldsmobile-88

Yep love or loathe him, Blair delivered what no other Labour leader did, 3 GE wins and with good majorities. I have always said Labour's problem started when they voted in the wrong Milliband, It should of been David instead of Ed, Word around at that time was Cameron breathed a huge sigh of relief when Ed Milliband was voted in, I honestly believe if David Milliband was leader, The 2015 GE would have ended very differently.
Yes..Think I’m right in thinking Len McCluskys dna was all over Ed Millibands election.

Len.The Tories wooden horse.