• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just dont think Tagg, or whoever is in control of the finances at the club, can place their faith and trust in Taylor to sanction transfers when he keeps signing players that are sat at home earning a fortune... From my business background, which is what a football club ultimately is, I just cant see how the team can improve without the money men at the club trusting taylor. And I know I wouldnt.
Taggy is no longer a Director of the Club, though he attends the Board. The four Trust directors and four others including the FD Keith Mason are chaired by the experienced Richard Pym. They have to look in the round at at turnover, phasing of transfer income, operating expenses, what the Club are allowed to spend on the P1 (players) budget under the SMCP (Salary Cost Management Protocol), Covid issues, the manager's advice on wage demands of possible signings, etc etc.

So i'm not surprised it was not possible to do much transfer business in January.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Um, is this thread only for kicking the manager by all those frustrated football managers out there whose CV's dont even mention the word football yet think they can do a better job? Ah well, a bit of light relief I guess.😄

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
There have been plenty of positive comments on this thread Geoff.

Colesman Ballz

There have been plenty of positive comments on this thread Geoff.
Well that's alright then "Pep", and to be fair to you there were, particularly when in the early days, but it has gone steadily downhill since. Nowadays finding the positives is more akin to a being a rat searching among the rubbish on a vast council tip for the odd tasty morsel ! 😎

Banksy

Taggy is no longer a Director of the Club, though he attends the Board. The four Trust directors and four others including the FD Keith Mason are chaired by the experienced Richard Pym. They have to look in the round at at turnover, phasing of transfer income, operating expenses, what the Club are allowed to spend on the P1 (players) budget under the SMCP (Salary Cost Management Protocol), Covid issues, the manager's advice on wage demands of possible signings, etc etc.

So i'm not surprised it was not possible to do much transfer business in January.
Thanks John.So from what you’ve said we can’t blame Taylor too much for not strengthening the team in January in view of the lack of cash. Pity , because as I said we are so close to the finishing line this season and a few decent additions might have clinched it.
Still , as others have said let’s see what happens in this final leg of the season.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nowadays finding the positives is more akin to a being a rat searching among the rubbish on a vast council tip for the odd tasty morsel ! 😎
Sounds like you talk from experience Codger.

Colesman Ballz

Sounds like you talk from experience Codger.
Ever so 'umble, me ! :(

IndoMike

Done up like a kipper...

Banksy

Done up like a kipper...
Who was.? Sounds a bit fishy again to me , must have slipped through my net.

JamieEcfc

I just dont think Tagg, or whoever is in control of the finances at the club, can place their faith and trust in Taylor to sanction transfers when he keeps signing players that are sat at home earning a fortune... From my business background, which is what a football club ultimately is, I just cant see how the team can improve without the money men at the club trusting taylor. And I know I wouldnt.
Why not? He's made some solid signings which have kept us in or around the play offs during his 3 seasons in charge, this season we've seen him introduce the next line of ECFC academy products whilst keeping us as play off challengers.

Success is determined on the pitch and with the resources he's had this season he's done a terrific job, we've been told by Taylor himself that he's had to work on a reduced budget this season and that the investment into the squad will come next season, hopefully investing into a squad to keep us in League One.

Ajose has been a flop but you can't judge all of Matt Taylors transfer business on one player.

You also can't expect EVERY signing to be a hit, all managers have signed flops.