• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just to brighten up the day

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Stumbled across this tonight (US time) and thought I'd post before the tension of tomorrow/today takes hold of us all.
To think this actually took place last season. Seems like it was years ago now!
Come on City, 3 games to go...we can do this!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gave me goose pimples.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Yep me too. The intro music gets me every time!
Whatever happens this year (even if we fail to make the playoffs), I'm still proud to have supported this club all my life!

budegrecian

Great, great stuff.
A different Randell Williams that day, compared to the one we've seen this season.

Legohead

Banned
Proud to say i was there. Amazing experience it being my first Devon derby. Although the game means little in the context of that season with Plymouth literally going up at our expense and us failing once again in the final 3rd of the season due to MT. I'd say the last laugh was on us. I find it bizarre how some fans still think that the game matters? MT handed promotion to Argyle on a plate and then proceeded to balls up his second chance in the P/O final. Oh, well. At least we won 4-0.

On the day though, a thoroughly immersive experience for me personally.

denzil

We really do miss Nicky Law AND a crowd !!!

DB9

Proud to say i was there. Amazing experience it being my first Devon derby. Although the game means little in the context of that season with Plymouth literally going up at our expense and us failing once again in the final 3rd of the season due to MT. I'd say the last laugh was on us. I find it bizarre how some fans still think that the game matters? MT handed promotion to Argyle on a plate and then proceeded to balls up his second chance in the P/O final. Oh, well. At least we won 4-0.

On the day though, a thoroughly immersive experience for me personally.
Lego, The game mattered because it was Argyle, We not only beat them, We BATTERED them, Simple as that.

Legohead

Banned
Lego, The game mattered because it was Argyle, We not only beat them, We BATTERED them, Simple as that.
Yes but the key point is that DOES the game matter to Argyle fans right now? Will they be hurting forever because we smashed them 4-0 in a season where our late season capitulation handed them promotion? Not only that but they also got a really good laugh watching us get mullered by the same scoreline in the P/O final whilst they were already a L1 side. Right now they sit in L1 and we allowed them to get promoted.

That's all i see. The bigger picture i guess but i acknowledge that i do not have the same long standing emotional attachment to this fixture as most Grecians supporters and as a consequence of this i cannot begin to appreciate the depth of feeling that accompanies any victory over Argyle.

Superb day though. Really happy to have experienced it.

Last edited:

DB9

Yes but the key point is that DOES the game matter to Argyle fans right now? Will they be hurting forever because we smashed them 4-0 in a season where our late season capitulation handed them promotion? Not only that but they also got a really good laugh watching us get mullered by the same scoreline in the P/O final whilst they were already a L1 side. Right now they sit in L1 and we allowed them to get promoted.

That's all i see. The bigger picture i guess but i acknowledge that i do not have the same long standing emotional attachment to this fixture as most Grecians supporters and as a consequence of this i cannot begin to appreciate the depth of feeling that accompanies any victory over Argyle.

Superb day though. Really happy to have experienced it.
Oh it did matter to them, Look at their forum after the match, OK they got promoted in very unusual circumstances and yep they probably laughed their backsides off at the P/O final result but the rivalry is just as deep at both clubs. I think they'd want "Revenge" for that scoreline, No matter what competition we meet up in.

haka

Lego might be needing the full body armour today, as Exewebbers read these posts and take aim! ;)

I realize everyone has different perspectives, that's always been part of following football, and you're entitled to yours of course ... but I can't imagine thinking that way about a thumping local derby win (surely our best ever, in both performance and goals).

40 years ago I was a teenager in the Cowshed for *that* 4-0 win v Newcastle. By the same logic, it really didn't matter, because City lost in the next round at Spurs. No Wembley, no Cup. And yet ... 40 years on, City fans of that generation still go on about it, still reminisce about the whole night. And other experiences didn't matter either, like the dramatic play-off games v Oxford in the Conference, or Carlisle more recently (neither one led to promotion). As for drawing at Old Trafford ... we'd already banked the cash even if we lost 9-0! So why bother enjoying it when it happened? Or indeed ... any Cup run, ever?

Because it's about enjoying the moment. Making the memories. Otherwise football is just a Super League spreadsheet.