• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The OGS was always a relatively peaceful and trouble free place, the only notable exception was when its inhabitants took up the habit of throwing their hired seat cushions on the pitch post match after particularly inept home performances ! This hardly ranked as hard core hooliganism and the Club just stopped hiring them out to solve the issue ! :)

Oldsmobile-88

The OGS was always a relatively peaceful and trouble free place, the only notable exception was when its inhabitants took up the habit of throwing their hired seat cushions on the pitch post match after particularly inept home performances ! This hardly ranked as hard core hooliganism and the Club just stopped hiring them out to solve the issue ! :)
Ha...I remember one hitting a opposition manager at the end of the game..Think it was Ron Atkinson when he was manager of Cambridge Utd.

Oldsmobile-88

Southern League 1st Division 1959/60.
The last season the Grecians reserves competed at that level.There was a fair bit of travelling,that was probably the reason why the club decided to compete in the Western League.
Anyone know the last season the Grecians competed in the Western League ?
I have a feeling it was until 1981.
9FC9B324-616E-4A39-8486-19CEB0F51A3A.jpeg

Nigel E

Anyone know the last season the Grecians competed in the Western League ?
I have a feeling it was until 1981.
1979/80 according to this database - assume it is accurate.

https://www.fchd.info/EXETERC2.HTM

Quite a bit of useful info in there

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks..

The reserves subsequently had a season in the Midweek League In 1981/82.

The travelling & expense scuppered their involvement in that league after a season.
8272EE49-E5E1-49BB-ACFD-D7B47AF4EF3D.jpeg

haka

I checked this with the programmes (thanks, Grecian Archive!) and my own dodgy memory. When I first started going to SJP the "reserve" fixtures were listed as St Lukes, as City didn't have a team in the league - as that link shows.

Seems remarkable that a full-time outfit had no matchday squad (only one sub) and no reserve team either.

Exehausted

A photo from July 1974(?) Interesting that the players addresses are given.
Hedley Steele after a couple of seasons at SJP had a long career in non league in the South West.Playing until his early 50s.
Pretty sure I saw him playing for Willand Rovers at Dawlish when both clubs were at the top of the Western League,he must have been around 50.
Reading his bio on the excellent Grecian Archive he turned out for Willand as a sub at 60 !
View attachment 5749
I often watch the Big Match revisited on a Saturday morning on ITV 4. They are showing the 1979/80 season at the moment and when Brian Moore reads out the letters people have sent in he gives their full address and Post Code! These days they wouldn't dare do that.

Colesman Ballz

I often watch the Big Match revisited on a Saturday morning on ITV 4. They are showing the 1979/80 season at the moment and when Brian Moore reads out the letters people have sent in he gives their full address and Post Code! These days they wouldn't dare do that.
Ah those simple days before the birth of social media ! :)

Tim Long

Wonder if they've checked whether those people still live at that address...

Colesman Ballz

Wonder if they've checked whether those people still live at that address...
Hope they don't or some sod will raise objections, and we will be subjected to them all being bleeped out :unsure: