• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tranmere Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

ryancooper327

No idea if this has been posted but oof.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ma125u

Trapdoor

Sally that wasn't even the worst injury on the pitch that day.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
With all the debate about the penalties it would have been nice to have Taylor's view. Bit of a cop out to say he isnt commenting on them in the interview.
The camera angles dont look great and I cant be 100% sure on either of them, so it would be useful to have a view from someone who was there.
I do know that we are due a break at the moment

STURTZ

Don't want to go into those two penalties, legal they may have been but neither Tranmere effort would have lead to a goal in my opinion and anybody would look at a team losing by two penalties to one proper goal as being "unlucky". Add to that the fact that we lost to a 92nd minute goal last week and we can generally consider ourselves to be unlucky. "There's no such thing as luck", "You make your own luck"," luck evens out over the season" etc of course but we have been "unlucky".

We have to accept that we may not be all that great but also realise the enormity of what we are trying to acheive this season. Playing five or six academy players with three or more on the bench is a revolution in football, can't think of any other team with a similar set up or aspirations. Our aproach is entirely laudable, sustainable, community spirited, highly commendable with the current Covid related financial EFL meltdown and in my opinion very exciting. Supported City for 55 years but never been more proud to be a Grecian blah blah blah.....

We all know that the prevalent attitude is that when we win we're brilliant when we lose we're crap but for me in the long term our aproach is right and if we stick to it, chosing long term sustainability over quick but brief glory then we will eventually prevail. Also think that the fact that Matt Taylor has taken all this on board and gone out of his way to accomodate thes young players into our first team makes him exctly the right man for the job. His reputation may suffer through game by game results but looking beyond that we will be stronger for this season what ever happens. This is a season like no other and when the final reckoning comes I think we will emerge as one of the more succesful clubs to compete this season, we've operated within our means, we've sold well and next season our young stars will be older, stronger, more experienced and better suited to progress in the league.

Not giving up on promotion but still beleive in our radical and unique philosophy and development.

Bring on Oldham!

grecIAN Harris

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't want to go into those two penalties, legal they may have been but neither Tranmere effort would have lead to a goal in my opinion and anybody would look at a team losing by two penalties to one proper goal as being "unlucky". Add to that the fact that we lost to a 92nd minute goal last week and we can generally consider ourselves to be unlucky. "There's no such thing as luck", "You make your own luck"," luck evens out over the season" etc of course but we have been "unlucky".

We have to accept that we may not be all that great but also realise the enormity of what we are trying to acheive this season. Playing five or six academy players with three or more on the bench is a revolution in football, can't think of any other team with a similar set up or aspirations. Our aproach is entirely laudable, sustainable, community spirited, highly commendable with the current Covid related financial EFL meltdown and in my opinion very exciting. Supported City for 55 years but never been more proud to be a Grecian blah blah blah.....

We all know that the prevalent attitude is that when we win we're brilliant when we lose we're crap but for me in the long term our aproach is right and if we stick to it, chosing long term sustainability over quick but brief glory then we will eventually prevail. Also think that the fact that Matt Taylor has taken all this on board and gone out of his way to accomodate thes young players into our first team makes him exctly the right man for the job. His reputation may suffer through game by game results but looking beyond that we will be stronger for this season what ever happens. This is a season like no other and when the final reckoning comes I think we will emerge as one of the more succesful clubs to compete this season, we've operated within our means, we've sold well and next season our young stars will be older, stronger, more experienced and better suited to progress in the league.

Not giving up on promotion but still beleive in our radical and unique philosophy and development.

Bring on Oldham!
I wholeheartedly agree with this. A great post that sums up my feelings precisely.

Legohead

Banned
Our unique philosophy ensures we develop players to sell on to bigger clubs, always at the expense of our own success on the field. It keeps the cash rolling in and it almost seems as though the primary directive of the football club these days is to sell players, solidify our financial position and exist.

A better balance between the club simply existing / being comfortably well off, and being successful on the pitch must be reached.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our unique philosophy ensures we develop players to sell on to bigger clubs, always at the expense of our own success on the field. It keeps the cash rolling in and it almost seems as though the primary directive of the football club these days is to sell players, solidify our financial position and exist.

A better balance between the club simply existing / being comfortably well off, and being successful on the pitch must be reached.
Next season will be the time to judge this. Covid disruption will, hopefully, be over, money will have been spent on the pitch and some of the Watkins money should have made it's way into an improved playing budget.

Colesman Ballz

Sorry but that is a load of tosh. In recent seasons we have been forced to sell three players who we would have liked to keep under normal circumstances. Stockley purely because his release clause was met, plus Stansfield and Chrisene who chose not to accept contracts that we offered and headed for "bright lights of the promised land". There was no alternative whatsoever. Yes we do produce some great youngsters and ultimately sell on. The stars will be plucked from us early, particularly strikers. In that respect it will only be the late developers we stand a chance of keeping, Ollie is of course the most notable example. But stop and consider Matt Jay, our current leading scorer, we believed in him, and he has finally come good. Ben Seymour is potentially yet another who the Club's coaching staff believe in, but you personally, and others scoff and deride him. He needs to be given his chance to shine. Maybe he will, maybe he won't ? Thems the breaks, but short termism and the thirst for instant success get you nowhere.

IndoMike

Bring on Oldham!
A lot of what you say is true and fair, but I would dispute your comment about wanting "quick but brief glory". Waiting for success after 10 years can't really be classified as wanting "quick but brief glory".
What amount of time do you think would not be "quick"? 15 years? 20 years?
Personally I don't expect City to flunk a million quid on a player, but we should be able to get someone in who can make a difference for 200k. What is the point of selling our young diamonds if we don't use some of the money to make progress on the pitch.
You talk about "glory" as if it's a dirty word. Football is all about the search for glory. In 1989-1990 we had glory, and some of us still breathe that. Fans need that boost sometimes, you know. It makes us happy and the memories can make the drudgery of life disappear for a while.